Another trip to NJCL convention, another transportation problem. The Cincinnati bus stopped on Columbia Parkway, within 5 minutes of departure, because of warning lights and warning buzzer. We then went directly to the Klug bus lot on the West Side and switched the defective bus for a working bus. The Summit bus driver Norm handled the issue quickly and effectively – nice work!
The Cleveland/Columbus bus did not break down. But both buses were the normal school bus type without A/C to minimize the costs, and well it was pretty hot. Except for Mrs. Inderhees, aka Mrs. I, and Mr. Stem, aka Optimus Prime, aka Optimus, who ‘were forced’ to transport the Clev/Col luggage on the air-conditioned van – O tempora, O mores!
Upon arrival, everyone got in their rooms and then got some dinner. Then some down time. And lastly there was the nightly fellowship for those who arrived at convention a day early.
Highlights and lowlights:
- Tullus’ beard was a trending topic among the OH delegation. He pledged to shave it during convention if OH gathered $350 to the OJCL Scholarship fund. There will be a coin jar to collect $, but people can also Paypal me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will then add it to the jar. Let’s get those online payments going!
- The OH delegation at fellowship sang ‘Felicem Natalem’ to honor President Brian Johnson’s birthday. There were balloons (which drew the attention of everyone away from the actual proceedings of the meeting), but they were all soon popped.
- Mrs. Burgess encouraged students to do the museum tour – great Roman jewelry collection, which includes an actual Roman bulla!
- When we were waiting for the new bus and were sweating and complaining about the heat, I told the group about the broken A/C bus on the return trip from OK many years back. It was so hot in the bus that it felt cool when we stepped out into 100 degree weather!
- I am already sick of hearing people mention Pokemon Go.