Want to learn about how Classical studies can pay for college?
- Click on ‘scholarships and awards’ at the top of the Ohio Classical Conference website for links to Latin scholarships both in Ohio and outside Ohio.
- Sterg Lazos, a Latin teacher at St. Edward, has compiled this list of ways that Latin can earn you fame and fortune.
Scholarships for the Classics available in Ohio (list compiled from the Ohio Senior Classical League):
- Bowling Green State University
- Caroline Nielsen Award in Classics: Given to a junior or senior in the university (not necessarily a classics major!) who is knowledgable about and interested in classics.
- Case Western Reserve University
- The Crawford Summer Scholarship to the American School of Classical Studies in Athens
- The Abraham Lincoln Fuller Prizes for excellence in the study of Greek or Latin
- The Emma Maud Perkins Prize for excellence in classical studies
- CWRU also offers a group acting contest for high school students, for which there are prizes.
- University of Cincinnati
- Semple Scholarship: a special program for classics students which pays most (if not all) of tuition.
- John Carroll University
Castellano Scholarship: a 4 year, full tuition scholarship for incoming freshman who have studied Latin and intend to major in Classical Languages.
- Miami University
- Scholarships/awards/prizes include:
- Bishop Prize in Latin, in honor of Robert H. Bishop II, by alumni
- Bishop-Elliott Prize in Classical Humanities, in memory of Robert H. Bishop II, class of 1831, and Professor Charles Elliott
- Elliott Prize in Greek, in memory of Professor Charles Elliott, by John B. Smith, class of 1858
- Henry Montgomery Classics Scholarship
- Henry Montgomery Travel Award
- Marilyn Wade-Duff Scholarship
- *Also home to the American Classical League offices.
- Oberlin College
The John J. Winkler Memorial Prize: open to all undergrad and graduate students in North America, not just students at Oberlin. The $1,500 prize is for the best paper that explores “any risky or marginal field of classical studies.”
- Ohio State University
David J. Neustadt Scholarship Fund in Greek and Latin: given to an undergraduate student studying Latin or Greek.
Rebecca Lucile Cornetet Scholarship: merit-based scholarship support to outstanding majors in Greek or Latin, with preference for students of Latin.
OSU also offers specific classics scholarships for study abroad, graduate students, and papers. Check those out here.
- Wright State University
Both scholarships are open to all classics majors. Amounts are usually between $500 and $1,000.
The Junior Classical League offers several scholarships. NJCL Scholarships include:
- Belle Gould NJCL Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Jessie Chambers NJCL Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Rhea Miller NJCL Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Red & Rhea Miller NJCL Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Sr. Jeanette Plante Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Renata Motiu Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Margaret & Eugene Halligan NJCL Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Maureen O’Donnell NJCL Scholarship (amount of $1500)
- Susan and Dennis Webb Scholarship (amount of $2500)
- Doris L. Kays Scholarship (amount of $1500)
The NJCL Latin Honor Society offers the Anne B. Covington National Latin Honor Society Scholarship for the amount of $2000. Click here to learn more about this scholarship.
The National Latin Exam offers scholarships for academic achievement. Click here to learn more about ways to earn scholarships through the exam.
This article demonstrates the real value of a Humanities major.
You will be surprised how many famous & successful people studied Latin.