1 page schedule of events at the OJCL Convention – some locations have been changed from the program, and THE ROOM CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED ON THIS SCHEDULE
Each year, the OJCL hosts a convention in Columbus which brings together over 800 students, teachers, and parents from across the state of Ohio to celebrate the study of Latin. There are a variety of competitive activities at the convention: academic tests, art contests, certamen, and creative performances (in both English and Latin). In addition, the convention offers a number of social activities, including a dance, a toga banquet, and OJCL’s Got Talent! State Convention is also an opportunity for students to run for the OJCL Executive Board. Delegations compete in various contests to win prizes and recognition in Overall and Per Capita.
THE SIXTY-EIGHTH STATE CONVENTION OF
THE OHIO JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE
March 9-11, 2018 at the DoubleTree Columbus Worthington
Audentes Fortuna iuvat. Fortune favors the bold. (Vergil, Aeneid 10.284)
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- January 27, 2018: Photo of the Season submission deadline
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for NJCL membership without late fee
- February 3, 2018: Pre-Convention project submission deadline AND Convention registration deadline
- February 7, 2018: Postmark deadline for paying 50% of Convention cost
- February 17, 2018: Speech Contest deadline
- February 18, 2018: Candidate Prefile deadline
- March 2, 2018: Creative Contest registration deadline
- March 5, 2018: Graphic Arts project pre-registration deadline
- March 8, 2018: Roll Call Pre-Approval deadline
- March 9, 2018: Beginning of 2018 OJCL Convention; 100% of Convention cost due
BREAK OUT ROOM SIGN UP If you would like to sign up for the break out room sessions (think Locked in a Room with a Zombie, but Classically themed… and no zombies), please sign up in the links below! There are two sessions, both late on Saturday night. A student may only do one. There is a limit to 32 students per session; the form will let you know if 32 have already signed up for a session.
- Link to Sign up for Session 1: https://goo.gl/forms/cNVNKpRGHjaavjjF2
- Link to sign up for Session 2: https://goo.gl/forms/PgDyiI4k5RDlO1L72
State Convention: 2018 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form – required! Turn the form into your Latin teacher.
Pre-Registration for Graphic Arts Contests is due March 5 at 11:59 PM! Pre-register your projects now: http://ojcl.org/students/graphic.php
Do you have merchandise that you want to sell? Do you need to raise extra funds for your club? Do you have another fun, awesome item you want people to see? Participate in the OJCL Bazaar! Sign up here!
Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the praise & admiration of your peers? Participate in the annual talent show: OJCL’s Got Talent! Sign up here. Auditions are on Friday night, and the show is on Saturday night. Yes, there are prizes!
The OJCL Speech Contest deadline has been extended to Saturday, February 17. Additionally, those delegates introducing candidates for office are now ALLOWED to join the contest. View the rules here, bearing in mind these changes. Contact 1st Vice President Caroline Klette (email@example.com) with any questions.
Congratulations to Katlyn Havlin of McAuley High School for winning our Photo of the Season contest for Winter! View the full list of winners for Winter here, and be sure to submit your Spring submissions by May 16th.
The Pre-file form for candidates running for the 2018-2019 OJCL Executive Board is now live.
Click here to complete the form. (The link is no longer available.) Please consult the Constitution and By-Laws – there are changes to duties of certain offices. The deadline is February 18. Contact Parliamentarian Julia Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any further questions or concerns.
Editor Taylor McGowan releases the the Winter 2018 Edition of the OJCL Torch! View it here on Joomag.
Congratulations to the following students for earning the Ohio Senior Classical League Scholarships for Convention!
- Full Scholarship: Katlyn Havlin (McAuley)
- Half Scholarships: Nyomi Morris (Beaumont) & Maliah Bricking (Summit)