Each year, the OJCL hosts a convention in Columbus which brings together over 800 students, teachers, and parents from across the state of Ohio to celebrate the study of Latin. There are a variety of competitive activities at the convention: academic tests, art contests, certamen, and creative performances (in both English and Latin). In addition, the convention offers a number of social activities, including a dance, a toga banquet, and OJCL’s Got Talent! State Convention is also an opportunity for students to run for the OJCL Executive Board. Delegations compete in various contests to win prizes and recognition in Overall and Per Capita.
THE SIXTY-EIGHTH STATE CONVENTION OF
THE OHIO JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE
March 9-11, 2018 at the DoubleTree Columbus Worthington
2018 Theme: Audentes Fortuna iuvat. ‘Fortune favors the bold’ (Vergil, Aeneid 10.284)
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- January 27, 2018: Photo of the Season submission deadline
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for NJCL membership without late fee
- February 3, 2018: Pre-Convention project submission deadline AND Convention registration deadline
- February 7, 2018: Postmark deadline for paying 50% of Convention cost
- February 11, 2018: Speech Contest deadline
- February 18, 2018: Candidate Prefile deadline
- March 2, 2018: Creative Contest registration deadline
- March 5, 2018: Graphic Arts project pre-registration deadline
- March 9, 2018: Beginning of 2018 OJCL Convention; 100% of Convention cost due
Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the praise & admiration of your peers? Participate in the annual talent show: ‘OJCL’s Got Talent!‘ – auditions are on Friday night, and the actual performance is on Saturday night. Yes, there are prizes!
The Pre-file form for candidates running for the 2018-2019 OJCL Executive Board is now live. Click here to complete the form. Please consult the Constitution and By-Laws – there are changes to duties of certain offices. The deadline is February 18. Contact Parliamentarian Julia Dean (email@example.com) if you have any further questions or concerns.
Have you ever wanted to deliver the Opening Remarks at GA? Now you can! Join the OJCL Speech Contest! Click here to learn how to participate. Deadline is Sunday, February 11. The winner will be notified by Friday, February 16. Contact 1st Vice President Caroline Klette (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any additional questions.
Treasurer Grant Bruner releases the 2018 Spirit Themes for State Convention. The three themes are Club T-shirts, Romans at the Races, and Cinema Romana!