Each year, the OJCL hosts a convention in Columbus which brings together over 800 students, teachers, and parents from across the state of Ohio to celebrate the study of Latin. There are a variety of competitive activities at the convention: academic tests, art contests, certamen, and creative performances (in both English and Latin). In addition, the convention offers a number of social activities, including a dance, a toga banquet, and OJCL’s Got Talent! State Convention is also an opportunity for students to run for the OJCL Executive Board. Delegations compete in various contests to win prizes and recognition in Overall and Per Capita.
THE SIXTY-EIGHTH STATE CONVENTION OF
THE OHIO JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE
March 9-11, 2018 at the DoubleTree Columbus Worthington
Audentes Fortuna iuvat. “Fortune favors the bold.” (Vergil, Aeneid 10.284)
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- January 27, 2018: Photo of the Season submission deadline
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for NJCL membership without late fee
- February 3, 2018: Pre-Convention project submission deadline AND Convention registration deadline
- February 7, 2018: Postmark deadline for paying 50% of Convention cost
- February 17, 2018: Speech Contest deadline
- February 18, 2018: Candidate Prefile deadline
- February 23, 2018: Roll Call Pre-Approval deadline
- March 2, 2018: Creative Contest registration deadline
- March 5, 2018: Graphic Arts project pre-registration deadline
- March 9, 2018: Beginning of 2018 OJCL Convention; 100% of Convention cost due
State Convention: 2018 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form – required! Turn the form into your Latin teacher.
The OJCL Speech Contest deadline has been extended to Saturday, February 17. Additionally, those delegates introducing candidates for office are now ALLOWED to join the contest. View the rules here, bearing in mind these changes. Contact 1st Vice President Caroline Klette (email@example.com) with any questions.
Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the praise & admiration of your peers? Participate in the annual talent show: OJCL’s Got Talent! – auditions are on Friday night, and the actual performance is on Saturday night. Yes, there are prizes!
Congratulations to Katlyn Havlin of McAuley High School for winning our Photo of the Season contest for Winter! View the full list of winners for Winter here, and be sure to submit your Spring submissions by May 16th.
The Pre-file form for candidates running for the 2018-2019 OJCL Executive Board is now live. Click here to complete the form. (The link has been fixed.) Please consult the Constitution and By-Laws – there are changes to duties of certain offices. The deadline is February 18. Contact Parliamentarian Julia Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any further questions or concerns.
Treasurer Grant Bruner releases the 2018 Spirit Themes for State Convention. The three themes are Club T-shirts, Romans at the Races, and Cinema Romana!