This page contains announcements, recent news, and important deadlines. Each post is dated at the end.
Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati will all be having ‘End of the Year’ + ‘Looking Forward to NJCL Convention’ picnics. All Latin students are invited to join the fun! (5/15/13)
- Cleveland – June 9, 1-4 pm, Edgewater Park – flier with full details - email@example.com Allison Kao (Shaker Heights)
- Columbus – June 8, Sharon Woods, 1-4 pm – flier with full details - firstname.lastname@example.org Henry Bacha (Wellington)
- Cincinnati – TBA soon, Ault Park – flier with full details - email@example.com Ra’ad Dawod (St. Xavier)
Here are the minutes for the OJCL Executive Board Meeting and the minutes for the OJCL Sponsors Meeting on April 20, 2013. (4/27/2013)
Are you going to Nationals at UNLV and interested in trying out for the OH Competitive Certamen teams? If the answer is ‘Ita Vero!’ then click here for full information about the tryouts. Even if you are not going to Nationals or playing certamen, maybe you want to improve your Latin skills and knowledge of the classical world – there is a summer Latin program at Summit Country Day School in Cincinnati. Come on in and join the summer fun! (4/25/2013)
Congratulations to the 2 new members of the Executive Board who were appointed at the Spring Meeting (4/20/13):
- Editor Jane Klaus (Ursuline)
- Historian Will Beatrez (St. Edward)
The OJCL Executive Board selected the 4 Gubernators for next year at a recent ‘cybermeeting (4/8/2013):
- Allison Kao, Shaker Heights (NE)
- Eleni Packis, Westlake (NW)
- Henry Bacha, Wellington (Central Belt)
- Ra’ad Dawod, St. Xavier (SE)
The 16 winners of the $100 OJCL Scholarship to the 2013 NJCL Convention at UNVL have been announced! Click here for the list. (3/31/2013)
Interested in proposing a change in the OJCL By-Laws or an amendment to the OJCL Constitution? Parliamentarian Will Emery wants to hear from you. Click here to make a suggestion. (3/25/2013)
Message about the selection of next year’s Gubernators and Editor and Historian from Parliamentarian Will Emery: ”We still have six appointed positions that need to be filled by the best and brightest in the OJCL. If you are a strong leader, avid administrator, or want to give back to the organization, please apply. The open positions are: SE Gubernator, Central Gubernator, NE Gubernator, NW Gubernator, Torch Editor, and Historian. Interested students must email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) an Appointed Officer Application by April 1 for Gubernators and April 15 for Torch Editor and Historian.” (3/21/2013)
The application for the $100 OJCL Scholarship for the 2013 NJCL Convention is now available. It must be emailed to State Chair Larry Dean (email@example.com) by 11:59 Mon March 25. (3/5/13)
OJCL Editor Regina Merrill has completed the Winter 2013 issue of ‘The Ohio Torch.’ (3/1/13)
Here are some announcements from the Feb 9 2013 Executive Board meeting regarding the 2013 OJCL Convention (2/13/13, updated 2/17/13):
- Eveyone attending the convention must fill out this permission slip.
- Project Linus will again be the charity for the convention – it will receive the proceeds from the ‘coin wars’ and will be the service project at the convention itself.
- Send in pix to Historian Becky Steffen (firstname.lastname@example.org) – PLEASE! Becky has not received ANYTHING so far, and she needs stuff for the state scrapbook.
- The convention program itself and the ‘posters-with-schedule-posted-in-the-hallways’ will contain QR codes for Smartphones.
- There are 3 offices in a State of Emergency: President (1 candidate), 1st Vice-President (no candidates), and Secretary (1 candidate). If you have any students interested in these offices, contact Parliamentarian Bobby McDonald (email@example.com). In addition, there will be vote at convention on 2 amendments to the OJCL Constitution.
- There will again be 4 Colloquia at Convention on Sat afternoon. More info on these will be forthcoming: Latin Storytime (OJCL President Heather Smith), Classics in the Movies (various OJCL officers), Music, Art, and the Classics (various OJCL officers); and Frescoes, Learn about them, then make one (Dr. Janette Knowles, Ohio Dominican University).
- OJCL’s Got Talent! is back for its 2nd year! Online is now available here.
- Here are the official minutes from Secretary Tino Delamerced for the Feb 9 OJCL Executive Board Meeting.
Suggest a theme for the 2013 Convention here. (2/5/2013)
IMPORTANT DEADLINES FOR THE 2013 OJCL CONVENTION (1/22/13):
- Jan 26 – Convention Registration
- Feb 1 – OJCL Membership (to be in ‘Good Standing’)
- Feb 2 – Pre-Convention Projects
- Feb 6 – Pre-File Forms for OJCL Elected Offices
The Candidate Prefile Application is now available online. If you don’t see your school listed, remind your sponsor to submit your membership information. (12/11/2012).
The Creative Contest Documents 2013 for OJCL Convention 2013 have been posted. View the “Creative Arts” tab for the complete PDF. (11/14/2012)
The details for the OJCL Make a Difference Day Service Events for Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland are now finalized (10/2/2012).
Each of the 3 main OH areas – Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland – has released the local certamen schedule for the 2012-2012 school year (9/22/2012).
OJCL Editor Regina Merrill has published her 1st edition of the OJCL Torch (9/22/2012).
Here are the official minutes of the OJCL Executive Board Meeting on Sept 8, 2012 (9/8/2012).
Changes have been made to various projects (8/28/12):
- Banner will now have students doing a short presentation to the judges to explain the subject matter and construction of the banner.
- Short Film has been eliminated, but there are 2 new Pre-Convention Club Contests: Music Video (on Julius Caesar) and Commercial (on Hercules).
- Minor changes to Creative Arts have been highlighted in the rules.
Important dates for OJCL Executive Board (8/2/12):
- Sat Sept 8, Fall OJCL Board Meeting
- Sat Feb 9, Winter OJCL Board Meeting
- Fri March 8 – Sun March 10, OJCL Convention [different from last year, and remember that officers are expected to arrive the evening of Thurs March 7]
- Sat April 20, Changeover Meeting
- July 22-26, NJCL Convention, Las Vegas
Mr. Dean’s daily updates on the 2012 NJCL Convention can be found here. (8/1/12)
Information about 2012 National Convention at Wake Forest in July has been posted here. (5/29/12)
OJCL Editor Susan Wallace (Madeira) has completed her 3rd and final edition of the Torch. Click here to see some great pictures & articles about the OJCL. (5/1/2012)
Both the OJCL Executive Board and the OJCL Sponsors had meetings on Sat April 21st (Rome’s 2,765th B-Day!).
- Click here for a concise summary of the important stuff from Executive Board/Sponsors Meeting on April 21 2012 in Columbus. (4/21/2012)
- Click here for the official minutes from the Executive Board meeting by OJCL Secretary Tino Delamerced.
- Click here for the official minutes from the Sponsors meeting by State Chair Larry Dean. (4/21/2012)
The Ohio Senior Classical League is accepting applications for its 2012 Book Award Scholarship. The award is hundreds of dollars for book expenses at college. It is for graduating high school seniors. The deadline is Friday May 4th at 11:59 pm. Click here to download the application. (4/16/2012)
Academic tests and keys for 2012 and 2010 have been posted under Academics on the Contest Page. (3/5/2012)