2021 State Convention Theme: Suadeo a te impetres ne sis nugax. “I advise you to ask of yourself not to be a fool” (Petronius, Satyricon 52)
Join us for virtual Fall Forum on Saturday, October 17th! (10-8-20)
We want your feedback! If you attended the virtual NJCL convention, please take some time in the next few days to fill out the survey sent by OJCL President Chloe Constantinides. If OJCL convention needs to be virtual, we want it to be as enjoyable as possible (if you attended but did not get the survey link, email firstname.lastname@example.org) (9-24-20)
Photo of the Season Submission dates 2020-2021 (9-24-20)
SUMMER: JULY 19, 2020
FALL: NOVEMBER 8, 2020
WINTER: FEBRUARY 7, 2021
SPRING: MAY 9, 2021
A couple of quick reminders:
- -Delegates may not apply for a position that their chapter currently holds.
- -Delegates MUST have permission from their sponsor and their parent to apply.
- -Only ONE delegate from each school may apply for each office.
- -The deadline for submitting an application is Tuesday, September 15th 11:59 pm
Please contact Abby Almaguer with any questions at email@example.com (9-2-20)
The OH 2020 Competitive Certamen Teams for the online competition in late July! (7-2-20)
- Novice: Jacob Cook, Jay Cottrell, Justin Salazar, Ty Wiggenhorn (all from St. Edward)
- Intermediate: Nicholas Stanis (St. X)
- Advanced: Irene Calderon (Summit), Will Corbin (Shaker), Jimmy Fraley (Summit), Alicia Luo (Sycamore), Matt Schiavone (Shaker)
The Spring Torch is out! You can access it using this link: https://joom.ag/fa8C (6-8-20)
Another opportunity to join the 2020-2021 OJCL Executive Board! Click here for the application for Editor and Historian! (5-19-20)
Want to be on the 2020-2021 OJCL Executive Board? Good news! The application to be a gubernator is here. Please follow this link to the form! (5-7-20)
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Application now due April 24th. The OJCL scholarship application to attend the NJCL convention in Richmond, VA is here! OJCL will award up to ten $100.00 and up to two $250.00 scholarship awards to students. All OJCL Members in good standing from Chapters in good standing are eligible. There are 2 types of scholarships: for Level ½ or Level 1 students and for Level 2 and above students. One $250.00 scholarship will be available to each division. N.B. we will wait to write the checks until NJCL convention is confirmed as “on”; should NJCL be cancelled, scholarship winners will receive their checks to attend in 2021. Seniors can still receive the $$ to attend next year as SCLers, but no attendance = no money. To submit, send completed applications to Ms Mays AND your sponsor, who will also submit their confirmation via email (4-2-20)
Due to convention being cancelled, the OSCL is doing online elections this year, and the nominations process is the first step. The nomination form is out now and is due at 11:59 PM on Sunday, March 29! (3-22-20)
Unfortunately, convention has been cancelled. Click here for more information (3-10-20)
The Winter Edition of the OJCL Torch is out now! Be sure to give it a read! (3-8-20)
Second Place: Kimberly Zwolshen, Indian Hill
Third Place: Margaret Sampson, Madeira
Failure to abide by all rules may result in disqualification, so please read these carefully and email Krish with questions!
- If you feel like you need to ask, ask or don’t do it
- No campaigning until after Nom Com
- No stickers (to protect the hotel)
- All campaigning must be positive!
- All campaign materials must be pre-approved by the State Chair and the Parliamentarian
- Spending limit of $50, bring receipts to Nom Com!
- Keep in mind that all ‘donated’ materials will be counted towards the $50 spending limit. This includes posters and paper previously purchased as well as any printing/copying that you do at home or school. These materials will be assessed at the lesser price between Amazon.com and Staples on the day of Nom Com. As of January ’20, Staples charged $.60 for color copies and $.12 for black and white
- Although you may use social media, Airdrop may not be used to spread materials in any capacity
- You may not interfere with the campaigns of others
- All evidence of your campaign must be removed before the Third General Assembly (to keep the hotel clean)
- Candidates must attend Nom Com and Meet the Candidates
Winter Service Events:
The Central Region will be coming together to bake bread, make Project Linus squares, and play some certamen on MLK Day! Here is the flyer for more information! (1-17-20)
OSCL Packet Award Results: Full Packet Award: She’miah Irvin, Walnut Hills, Half Packet Award: Michael Hall, Summit Country Day, Half Packet Award: John Paul Schuette, Moeller (1-16-20)
Chapter Updates for the Winter Edition of the OJCL Torch are due by Saturday, January 18! This is a great opportunity to tell the rest of the OJCL what your local chapter has been up to the last few months! (1-12-20)
The spirit themes for the 2020 OJCL Convention are out now, they are: Friday-Convention Theme (Club T-shirts), Saturday-Rome on the Range (Farms), Sunday-Tides of March (Beach/Ocean)! The Spirit Rubric is also out now! (1-11-20)
The 2020 OJCL Convention Roll Call Guidelines are here! (1-11-20)
The OSCL Packet Award application deadline has been extended to 11:59 PM on January 10, 2020! Apply here! (1-8-20)
The OSCL Packet Award application is here, and it is due by 11:59 PM on January 8, 2020. They are offering 2 half-scholarships and 1 full-scholarship to the 2020 OJCL Convention. (12-9-19)
The 2019 Fall Torch by Editor Hannah Shane is here! Check out all the great articles! (11-22-19)
University of Cincinnati certamen, Sat Nov 16, 9 am – noon. Click here for directions and where to park.
Make a Difference Days
North: We will be cooking and serving dinner at the Ronald McDonald House! Date: Sunday, November 3, 2019 Address: 10415 Euclid Avenue. There are a limited number of spots for this event, so please RSVP as soon as you can using this link: https://forms.gle/m2wVqgmchfrhRfZG8 Here is the North MADD flyer for more info! (10-17-19)
Central: We will be distributing clothing from the Childhood League Clothing Drive! Date: Saturday, November 16, 2019 Address: 674 Cleveland Avenue. Check out this flyer for Central MADD with more info! (10-17-19)
South: We will be assisting Cincinnati Parks staff in removing invasive species in Walnut Hills Woods! Date: Saturday, November 23, 2019 Address: 3201 Sulsar St. Take a look at the South MADD flyer for details! (10-23-19)
Save the date! Shaker Certamen will take place Sunday, November 10th, 1-4 pm. Open certamen format, novice, lower and upper levels. Please join us! 2019 shaker certamen flier (10-11-19)
Congratulations to Photo of the Season Winners! (10-11-19)
Summer First Place: Olivia Hopkin, Madeira
Second Place: Alex Frohn, Seven Hills
Third Place: Calla Conway, Medina
Spring First Place: Jimmy Fraley, Summit
Second Place: Melissa Flores
Third Place: Emma Tucker, Madeira
Please send chapter updates (and other articles) to firstname.lastname@example.org for publication in the Fall Torch! Remember that submission to the OJCL Torch earns points towards your local publication in the Publications Contest at convention! (10-11-19)
Schools should fill out our new contact form with updated officer information; all officers can be entered at once into the form (9-25-19)
Please click here to access a survey to select where the South Make A Difference Day will be held this year! (9-23-19)
Fall Forum will again be hosted at Columbus Academy on October 12th from 9am-5pm! A fun ‘mini-convention’ with lectures by college professors, an academic test, impromptu art, certamen, Ultimate frisbee & Capture the Flag, and more (including certudi)! Bring $5 for pizza lunch. Events will happen concurrently with the Ohio Classical Conference. Check out the OCC flier and Schedule of Events! (9-3-19)
CINCINNATI BUS to Fall Forum–bring another $5 for the bus.
- You must do the online sign up to guarantee a spot on the bus.
- The bus will leave Summit at 6:45 am.
- It will then leave Columbus Academy around 5 pm and arrive back at Summit around 7 pm. I will have students text parents when we are about 40 minutes from school.
- A check for $5, made out to Summit, can be handed to me as the student boards the bus. (Larry Dean, 9-11-19)
Southern Ohio Certamen (8-28-19)
- All are on Saturday morning.
- Registration starts at 9 am. The competition itself begins 9:30ish and ends 11:30ish.
- Fliers with directions will be posted a week or 2 before the certamen.
- An ‘open certamen’ means that students from different schools will be randomly placed on teams.
- Sept 21 – Moeller Open
- Oct 5 – Miami University flier parking info
- There are a limited number of spots available for a campus tour at 10:30 am on Saturday. The tour conflicts with part of the Certamen, but that is the only time the Admissions office has available. If someone is interested in taking the tour, please have them email Dr. Barilleaux at email@example.com.
- Oct 12 – Open Certamen at the Fall Forum at Columbus Academy
- Nov 2 – Seven Hills flier
- Nov 16 – University of Cincinnati
- Feb 1 – Xavier University
- Feb 29 – Summit
- March 14 – State Championship at OJCL Convention
- March 28 – Ursuline Academy – spring certamen!
- NEW DATE! May 2 – Mt. Notre Dame – the Advanced questions will all be AP related to help prep for the AP exam on Tues May 12
- July 24-29 – National Championship at NJCL Convention in Richmond VA
Congrats to the 2019 OH Competitive Certamen Teams for the NJCL Convention!! (6-28-19)
- novice: Sawyer Huckabee (Hoban), Wali Khan (Summit), Nicholas Stanis (Summit), Jude Yovichin (Hoban)
- intermediate: Irene Calderon (Summit), Will Corbin (Shaker), Jimmy Fraley (Summit), Kendall Richard (Summit)
- advanced: Grant Bruner (Sycamore), Peter Hattemer (Walnut Hills), Matt Shiavone (Shaker), Alan Zhang (Walnut Hills)
- 2019 OH Certamen Tryouts – Final Results
North: June 21 at Horseshoe Lake (17499 S Park Blvd, Shaker Heights) from 12-2:30 pm. North Pre Nats picnic Info
Central: July 21 at the Columbus Academy Outdoor Classroom (4300 Cherry Bottom Rd) from 1:30-3:30 pm. Please RSVP to Bea Sull at firstname.lastname@example.org. Central Prenats picnic Info
Want to be on the OH competitive certamen team this summer at the NCL Convention in Fargo? Click here for more info!
The 2019 OJCL Spring Torch is out! Check it out here! (6-3-19)
Attending Nationals at NDSU? Please buy a spirit package! You will need to select a shirt size. All items will be distributed to delegates at NDSU (you still need to provide an address, but nothing will be shipped to you). All student delegates are REQUIRED to purchase a spirit package. Adult sponsors and chaperones are encouraged to do so. Use this link to purchase your spirit package! Purchase by 6-21-19! https://tinyurl.com/y55kjnej (5-28-19)
2019 Spring Service Events!
North– at the Greater Cleveland Foodbank (15500 South Waterloo Rd Cleveland, OH 44110) on June 6, from 12-2 pm. Please sign up using the link on the flyer below!
Central– NNEMAP Food Pantry, 10 AM – 1 PM June 1st. Please sign up using the link on the flyer below!
South – Matthew 25 Ministries on June 8 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Please sign up using the link on the flyer below!
Sat May 4, 9-11ish am, Mt. Notre Dame Certamen – all the Upper Level questions will be AP related to help with the AP Latin Exam on the 17th! Here is the flier. (4/24/19)
We hope you are excited for NJCL Convention! It is from Friday, July 26 to Wednesday, July 31. The flights from Ohio leave early in the morning on Thursday, July 25, and the flights from Fargo leave early in the morning on Wednesday, July 31. Here are the flights which Larry Dean is taking. Students are not required to take these flights, but he will chaperone any students who are on these flights. Here are the flights that Columbus teachers are taking. (n.b. The North is traveling in school groups, not as a collective. Students should contact their adviser.) (4-8-19)
Interested in becoming a member of the OJCL Executive Board? Consider applying for the position of Editor or Historian! Here is the form to apply. It is due on Tuesday, April 30 by 11:59 P.M. (4-6-19)
Certamen in the spring? Euge! The Ursuline certamen is Saturday, April 6th! Registration starts at 9:00 AM, play begins around 9:30 AM, and everything should be wrapped up by about noon. (4-4-19)
The OJCL Sponsors’ Meeting is Saturday, April 6th from 10:30am-12:15pm at The Wellington School. We will meet in the Middle School Commons, you should come to the Events entrance (3-28-19)
Here are the NJCL T-Shirt Design Contest Guidelines! Submissions are due by 11:59 P.M. on Wednesday, April 3, 2019 to email@example.com! (3-25-19)
Interested in joining the 2019-2020 OJCL Executive Board? Apply to be a Gubernator! Fill out this form by Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019. (3-10-19)
Going to NJCL Convention? Here is the information about the 2019 OJCL Scholarship to Nationals! Due 11:59 P.M. on April 5, 2019. (3-7-19)
The wait is over! Here is the Winter 2019 OJCL Torch edited by Editor Allie Hinnenkamp! (3-3-19)
The 69th OJCL Convention Program by Secretary Andrew Cahall is here! (3-1-19)
Congratulations to this year’s OSCL Book and Packet Award winners! They are:
If you are new to the Junior Classical League, learn more here.
News, Announcements, and Important Deadlines (Quid Novi?)
OJCL State Convention
Constitution, By-Laws, Officers
Ohio Senior Classical League
If you are interested in joining the Junior Classical League, learn more here.
News, Announcements, and Important Deadlines (Quid Novi?)
OJCL State Convention
Latin Leveling and Competition Rules
JCL Chapter Registration Information (from NJCL)
National Latin Honor Society Information
Learn how your students can earn scholarships through the JCL for up to the amount of $2500.