This page contains announcements, recent news, and important deadlines. Each post is dated at the end.
Do you have something important to say about Latin and the JCL? Want to give a speech to all the delegates at convention during one of the General Assemblies? Click here for details about the ‘Convention Speech Contest’ (deadline is Feb 5). (1-25-16)
Secretary Dustin Argo has edited the minutes of the Jan 9 OJCL Winter Planning Meeting for the 2016 Convention. (1-20-16).
Click here for article and pix of the Project Linus + Certamen at Columbus Academy on MLK Day. (1-19-16)
2nd VP Sara Sandvakili has created a team called ‘Ohio Junior Classical League’ for the Night for the Fight to Beat Childhood Cancer! It is an overnight event on Fri Feb 26 at the Cintas Center (Cincinnati). (1-9-16)
- The N4TF fundraiser page for the team is at https://www.classy.org/fundraise/team?ftid=64990.
- he Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/events/1545398512445590/.
- To register without a Facebook page, go to nightforthefight.org and join the team ‘Ohio Junior Classical League.’
All GRAPHIC ARTS rules have been updated. These more clearly explain disqualification and the judging process. Please be sure to read these as you are working on your graphic arts! (1-9-16)
REMINDER! PRE-CONVENTION PROJECTS are due WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2016 (11:59 pm)! (1-8-16)
Project Linus Service Event and Certamen will be held at Columbus Academy on MLK day, Jan 18 from 10:30am-2:30pm. If you are able to attend, please email Ms. Bening (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the number of members of your club who will be attending. Please bring $5 for lunch. (1-8-16)
The 2016 Shaker Heights certamen will be on Feb 7 at 1 pm in its cafeteria. Flier. (1-6-16)
Southwest Gubernator Julia Cardinal (McAuley) has posted articles about 2 OJCL service events in Cincinnati in the fall of 2015. (12-29-15)
Congratulations to the following scholarship winners for the 2016 Convention! Thanks to the SCL for providing this opportunity! (12-18-15)
- Katlyn Havlin (McAuley) is receiving the full scholarship.
- Both Autumn McMichael (Wyoming Middle School) and Aleeyah Nurredin (Mount Notre Dame) are receiving half scholarships.
The NJCL Fall Torch 2015 has a number of OH people featured! Check out pages: 7, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24, 27, 29, 35! go ohio go (212-4-15)
Check out the Creative Arts Contests page to see this year’s Latin Recitation and Dramatic Interpretation passages! (11-23-15)
Come to the annual Gift Wrap sponsored by the Westlake Latin Club, 10 am – 3 pm, Sat Dec 12! (11-23-15)
Congratulations to the Shaker Heights Latin Club for the winning entries in both the Roman Rap and Promotional Video Contests! The prize? 2 $100 Pizza Parties! (11-23-15)
- Roman Rap Winner: paste this link into your browser, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzJEejKa5CM&feature=youtu.be
- Latin Promotional Video Winner: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dld13vCbFMbWkwd0IwdjVPSms/view
Apply for SCHOLARSHIPS to the 2016 OJCL CONVENTION! The deadline is December 5th, 2015 at 11:59pm. Here the OJCL Convention Scholarship Application! Thanks to the Ohio Senior Classical League for offering this awesome opportunity! (10-28-15)
The OJCL is sponsoring a SAT/ACT/IB Test Prep Book Drive. Flier with info is here. Click here for the online submission, due Nov 28 (NEW DATE, 2 WEEKS LATER). The Latin Club which donates the most books wins $100 for a pizza party! Contact 2nd VP Sara Zandvakili (email@example.com) with questions. (10-14-15).
2015-2016 Editor Josh Young (Indian Hill) has completed his 1st issue of the OJCL Torch – it includes videos of the OH delegation from the summer NJCL Convention at Trinity University (San Antonio TX). (10-6-15)
Make a Difference Day! (10-5-15)
- Columbus – Central Gubernator Andrew Zhang reports that the Columbus OJCL had a successful Make a Difference Day
- Cleveland – Sun Oct 25, 1:30-4 PM, Cleveland City Mission – flier with details – please use this link (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F054FA4A72EA6FE3-nenw) to sign up to bring food/drink to the event
- Cincinnati – Sat Nov 14, 2-5 pm, California Woods Nature Preserve – flier with complete details – REQUIRED PERMISSION SLIP
Want the Classics professors of Miami University or the University of Cincinnati to visit your classroom and/or Classics Club and to introduce them to literary, historical, or cultural topics from the ancient world? Click here to find out more about MU’s program and Click here to find out more about UC’s program. (9-28-15)
Central Gubernator Andrew Zhang reports that the Columbus OJCL had a successful Make a Difference Day. (9-21-15)
CHECK OUT THE CONTEST PAGE FOR 2016 CONTEST TOPICS! (8-27-15)
CINCINNATI CERTAMEN SCHEDULE, always Sat mornings, 9-11ish (8-25-15):
- NEW!!!! Sept 19 – Moeller is hosting an Open Certamen! – flier with info and directions
- Oct 3 – Miami University – flier with directions and parking pass
- Nov 14 – University of Cincinnati – flier with directions and parking information
- Dec 5 – Summit – flier
- Jan 9 – Xavier University – flier and detailed map of XU campus
- Jan 30 – Seven Hills – flier
Important dates for OJCL Executive Board (8-20-15)
- Sat Sept 12, (NEW TIME!) 2-4 pm, 2015: Fall Planning Meeting at The Wellington School (Columbus)
- Sat Jan 9, 10 am – 12 noon: Winter Planning Meeting at the Doubletree Hotel (Worthington) – this is the site of the 2016 OJCL Convention
- Fri Feb 19 – Sun Feb 21 2016: OJCL Convention at Doubletree Hotel in Worthington OH – All officers are expected to arrive soon after 6 pm on Thurs Feb 18 to set up for the convention.
- April 23 2016: Changeover Meeting
- July 25 – 30 2016: NJCL Convention at Indiana University (Bloomington IN)
- Sept 17 2016: Fall Planning Meeting
- Jan 7 2017: Winter Planning Meeting
- Fri Feb 17 – Sun Feb 19 2017: OJCL Convention – All officers are expected to arrive soon after 6 pm on Thurs
2015 NJCL Convention Update (7-4-15)
- Cincinnati people: There will be a bus to/from the Louisville airport. It will leave Summit at 5 am on Sun July 26 for the 8:18 am flight. It will then leave Louisville at around 1 pm on Sat Aug 1 for the 12:01 arrival of the flight. Please indicate your intention to take the bus both ways through this online sign up (checks for around $50, made out to OJCL, can be handed to me as the student boards the bus, I am still working out the final details): http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati1
- Everyone, SUN JULY 26: There will be a bus + a van or smaller bus for anyone interested in transportation from the San Antonio airport to Alamo/Riverwalk to Trinity on Sun July 26. The bus will leave the airport at 1:30 pm and get to campus around 6:30. All students arriving on Sun July 26 need to do the pre-convention housing – contact the NJCL if you have not signed up for that. Please make sure that you have done the SignUpGenius and sent the check for $14 so I know how big the 2nd van/bus needs to be: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati
- Everyone, SAT AUG 1: The OJCL has ordered 2 40 person buses for Sat Aug 1 – one will arrive at Trinity at 5 am (for the 7 am flight of the Cincinnati group), one will arrive at Trinity at 6 am (for the 8 am flight of the Cleveland group). The cost is $10 – cash or check to OJCL. THIS WILL BE COLLECTED AT CONVENTION, SO BRING THE $ OR THE CHECK WITH YOU, DO NOT SEND THIS TO ME. THERE IS NO SIGN UP FOR THIS, JUST BRING CASH/CHECK TO CONVENTION AND THERE WILL BE A SPOT FOR YOU.
- REQUIRED FOR OJCL’ERS: Treasurer Kelly Thaxton and President Lindsey Dierig have created an Etsy account for participants to get the state tshirt + spirit stuff. The price is $19.20. Sign up and pay online here: https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/236260927/ohio-delegation-njcl-package?ref=shop_home_active_1&ulsfg=true.
Here is a message from Kelly about spirit: “Salvete! NJCL Convention is just around the corner and it’s time for everybody to order their spirit packages. You can order the package through the etsy link above, and it comes with 2 t-shirts. One of the shirts is the required state shirt that every delegate must have. Each day of convention has a different spirit theme, and the spirit package has the necessary items to go along with those themes, so we’re asking that everybody orders their package by July 8th. We also need delegates to bring a toga, one white t-shirt, and one blue t-shirt. Thank you and see you at convention!”
- Announcement: OH Competitive Certamen Teams at Trinity! Thanks to all players – 24 students from 7 different schools – who participated in the tryout process!
- Novice: John Brady (St. Edward), Julia Dean (Summit), Owen Kranz (St. Edward)
- Intermediate, Gautam Apte (Shaker) will share ‘Language’ spot, Julia Cardinal (McAuley) will share ‘Hist/Cult’ spot, Charlie Dwight (Seven Hills) will share ‘Language’ spot, Peter Hattemer (Walnut Hills), Caroline Klette (Summit), Michael Warden (Summit) will share ‘Hist/Cult’ spot
- Advanced: Sameer Apte (Shaker), Will Beatrez (St. Edward), Jesse Campbell (Summit) will sub for ‘Lang’ and ‘Lang/Lit’ spot, Tullus Dean (Summit), Alex Lathem (Westlake) will sub for ‘Myth’ spot, Matthew McMillan (Shaker) will sub for ‘Hist/Cult’ spot, Ben Robertson (Shaker)
OJCL Regional Summer Picnics: These events are for all OJCL students, especially those who are attending the National Convention at Trinity University! (6-15-15)
- Columbus: 1-4 pm, SAT JULY 11 (NEW DATE), Blendon Woods Metro Park (4265 E. Dublin Granville Road, Columbus, OH 43017) – flier – contact person is Central Gubernator Andrew Zhang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cleveland: 1-4 pm, SUN JULY 5 (NEW DATE), Upper Edgewater Park – flier – contact persons are Northeast Guberator Vishnu Kasturi (email@example.com) and Northwest Gubernator Bradley Katcher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cincinnati: 1-4 pm, Sat July 11, Ault Park (3600 Observatory Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45208) – flier – the link for food sign ups is http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e44ada62fa0ff2-southwest
– contact person is Southwest Gubernator Julia Cardinal (email@example.com)
OSCL President Bob McDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org) announces the OSCL Book Award: “In past years, the OSCL has offered a $150 award to a senior to be spent on books for college. This year is no different, and the application is here! I’d like to stress that the student does NOT need to be majoring or minoring in Classics. The application is due June 16th.” (6-5-15)
OJCL Bus at Nationals: Sun July 26, 1:30-6:30 – San Antonio airport to Alamo/Riverwalk to Trinity: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati. Check must be received before spot is reserved. (5-29-15)
Former Editor Dustin Argo (Summit) has completed his 3rd and final issue of the OJCL Torch! He will still be continuing to serve the OJCL as this year’s Secretary.
Check out these pix of JCLove, with Mr. & Mrs. I, at the April meeting. The fruit of their labor will arrive very soon! (5-5-15)
Interested in Competitive Certamen at the NJCL Convention in San Antonio? Click here for information on tryouts. (4-23-15)
Latin in the Summer? EUGEPAE!! (4-23-15)
- Larry Dean (Summit) is again running a summer Latin program in Cincinnati for 18 days, Mon June 8 – Wed July 1, 8:30-12:30.
- It is intended for motivated students, regardless of their level of Latin – from beginners in the 6th grade to advanced scholars who have graduated. Students can sign up/show up anytime. It is a great learning environment, with motivated students from throughout the Cincinnati area and even from other parts of OH – and they all have the same joy of learning and love of the classics. Here is the link to the program from the Summit webpage: http://www.summitcds.org/summerprograms/academic-summer-school.cfm. Please call Larry Dean at 513-502-0108 if you have questions.
Congratulations to the new officers who were appointed by the Board at the Feb 18 meeting! (4-19-2015)
- Editor – Josh Young (Indian Hill)
- Historian – Madison Solomon (Wellington)
NEW FUN CONTEST: ROMAN RAP CHALLENGE to promote National Classics Week, April 19-25. Click here for the flier with all the info below (4-14-2015)
- Create a 20-30 second rap on anything JCL or Classics-related and post a video on Facebook.
- The winning entry will be awarded a FREE PIZZA PARTY for his or her Latin club!
- You can submit more than one entry per school and we encourage you to involve your entire club.
- In order for us to receive your submissions, please shout-out your Latin club in the video and hashtag the following in the Facebook post: #ohioclassicsstudents, #nationalclassicsweek, #happybdayrome, #jcl.
- NEW DEADLINE!!!! Now it is 11:59pm Friday MAY 1. Let’s see you take your rapping skills to the test!
- Questions? Contact OJCL 1st Vice President Allison Kao @ email@example.com!
Cleveland Teachers – Nora Murphy is hosting an adult get together on May 8. (4-11-15)
Congratulations to the winners of the $100 OJCL Scholarships to attend the NJCL Convention at Trinity University (San Antonio TX)! Checks for the winners will be mailed this week. (4-11-2015)
- Hannah Barrett (Shaker)
- Will Beatrez (St. Edward)
- Jesse Campbell (Summit)
- Julia Cardinal (McAuley)
- Hali Clark (Summit)
- Julia Dean (Summit)
- Tullus Dean (Summit)
- Joseph Delamerced (Summit)
- Charlie Dwight (Seven Hills)
- Brian Johnson (Shaker)
- Allison Kao (Shaker)
- Srivishnu Kasturi (Shaker)
- Bradley Katcher (Westlake)
- Sam Katz (Shaker)
- Ben Robertson (Shaker)
- Elisa Stanis (Summit)
- Jocelyn Ting (Shaker)
- Sara Zandvakili (Indian Hill)
A message from Parliamentarian Brian Johnson: Thank you to everyone who applied for the position of Gubernator! The OJCL Board has reviewed the applications, voted, and your 4 Gubernators are:
- NE- Vishnu Kasturi (Shaker Heights)
- NW- Bradley Katcher (Westlake)
- Central- Andrew Zhang (Columbus Academy)
- SW- Julia Cardinal (McAuley)
Congratulations! And thank you again to all the applicants! (4-7-2015)
NEW POST 2015 CONVENTION ANNOUNCEMENTS (3-23-15)
- Historian Hannah Barrett has created a 2015 OJCL Convention video!
- Apply for a $100 OJCL scholarship to the NJCL Convention in San Antonio TX this summer. The deadline is 11:59 pm April 3rd.
- A message from Parliamentarian Brian Johnson (Shaker Heights): Salvete Omnes! It’s that time of year again! It’s time to appoint the next OJCL Gubernators (Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, and Central), Historian, and Editor! The link to the application is here: http://ojcl.org/students/appointed.php! Before you start, be aware of a few rules. To apply, both the sponsor and the interested student must be a member of the OJCL, and have paid their dues this year. All students interested MUST be approved for application by their club sponsor. A club may also only sponsor one candidate for a position, but may sponsor a candidate for each position. For example, Shaker Heights may sponsor one candidate for the Gubernatorial position of their region (in this case NE) and one candidate for OJCL Editor, but may not sponsor two candidates for NE Gubernator. Also, for the newly appointed Gubernators, attendance to the Changeover Meeting on April 18 is highly encouraged! The deadline for Gubernator applications will be April 1st at 11:59 P.M., and the new Gubernators will be announced after the Executive Board’s April 6th cyber meeting. The applications for Historian and Editor will be due by 11:59 P.M. on April 11th, and the decision regarding those positions will be made at the changeover meeting, April 18th. Please tell your students about the application ASAP, and encourage them to apply! And if anyone has any questions, don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will respond as soon as I can! Gratias vobis ago, et bonam fortunam!
The Ohio Senior Classical League is offering a scholarship to cover the cost of convention. The application is here, and the deadline is Feb 20 2015. (1-26-15)
Cleveland Service Event: The West Side Catholic Center will be hosting a “mobile food pantry” on Saturday, February 28th, from 9:00-12:30. The OJCL take a whole group of people (they’re pretty flexible with the numbers) to unload a delivery truck and to distribute food/supplies to those in need. Please email NW Gubernator Will Beatrez with numbers: email@example.com (1-26-15)
- On Valentine’s Day McAuley High School is hosting a Roaming Romans’ Togathon. Our togathon is modeled on the Relay for Life and will raise money for Latin education. We will be supporting Saint Peter Claver Latin School for Boys. SPC is located in the Over-the-Rhine area of Cincinnati and runs completely on donations. They are a K-8 school and are dedicated to help their students be accepted into higher ranking high schools than those of their school district. They are looking to expand their Latin program. These funds will help them to do so greatly.
- Our togathon is set for February 14th from 1-5 PM. People may start arriving at 12:30 to sign in. Official events will begin at 1:15 after an introduction to the event. Besides walking a set route through the school, the students will have the opportunity to partake in many other service events including Project Linus and Cards of Courage. There will also be fun games, costing a quarter per round. We ask that every club comes up with a toga theme. The best dressed team will earn a special prize. We also ask that every participant raises at least $10 for SPC. As an added incentive, the individual and the team that has raised the most funds will earn a prize. Every club is one team.
- For more information or questions, contact Magistra Rachel Kless or Praetor Julia Cardinal. Magistra Kless: firstname.lastname@example.org Praetor Julia Cardinal: email@example.com
- RSVP on the signup genius @ http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e44ada62fa0ff2-roamin
- Thank you, The McAuley Latin Club
The Shaker Heights Certamen will be at 1 pm on Sun Feb 1 2015. Click here for the flier. (12-16-2014)
Magistra Lisa Patton has announced the date for the Westlake gift wrap + certamen (12-2-2014)
- “The annual Westlake holiday gift wrap/ certamen is Saturday December 13, 2014 from 11 am – 2 pm. Please feel free to bring gently used toys for the wrap, a dessert to share, and two dollars for pizza. (This is starting to sound like a Catullus- type party.) Please let me know if you will be able to join us and an approximate head count.”
Editor Dustin Argo (Summit) has released the 2014 Fall OJCL Torch. (11-8-14)
Find out about the hundreds of hours of community service that OJCLers have already performed this year! (11-7-14)
New contest, Panel/Comic Storytelling, added to Pre-Convention contests! (10-31-2014)
Here are the minutes from the Sept 13 2014 Fall Planning Meeting. (9-26-14)
NE Gubernator Allison Kao (firstname.lastname@example.org) and NW Gubernator Will Beatrez (email@example.com) are the contacts for the Cleveland MADD service project on Oct 25, 2014, 1 – 4 pm at the Cleveland Cultural Gardens (750 E 88th St, Cleveland, OH 44108). Click here for the flier. Sign up online for the event at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4daea729a5f49-make so there is a good estimate for how many gardening supplies the Cultural Gardens coordinator should bring. (9-20-14)
2 Cincinnati service events are planned in October. SW Gubernator Sara Zandvakili is the contact person (firstname.lastname@example.org). (9-15-14)
- Sun Oct 19, 6-9 pm, Sawyer Point: Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention Walk – go here to join the OJCL walking team or to donate – click here for a flier with details
- Sat Oct 25, 1-4 pm, California Woods Nature Preserve: OJCL Make A Difference Day – click here for a flier with details – click here for the permission slip
CINCINNATI CERTAMEN SCHEDULE, always Sat mornings, 9-11ish (9-12-14):
- Oct 11 – Summit – click here for the flier
- Nov 15 – University of Cincinnati – click here for the flier
- Dec 6 – Miami University – 1st time ever! – click her for the flier AND THE REQUIRED PARKING PASS
- Jan 10 – Xavier University – click here for the flier
- Feb 21 – Seven Hills
ANNOUNCEMENT: The duties for the 2015-2016 1st VP and 2nd VP are new! Here is the document with the amendment (passed in December 2013) with the new duties for each office. Click on the ‘About Us’ button on top of this page to find Article 5 of the By-Laws with the duties of all the offices.
ALL INFORMATION ABOUT THE OH DELEGATION AT THE 2014 NJCL CONVENTION AT EMORY UNIVERSITY CAN BE FOUND HERE. (6/16/14)
This article about 4 Perfects on the National Latin Exam by Ben Robertson (Shaker Heights) and Connor Tomshack (St. Edward) celebrates their extraordinary achievement and details the importance & relevance of Latin. (6/22/14)
Here is the June 2014 OJCL Torch. It is the final issue by Editor Jane Klaus (Ursuline Academy). (6-16-14)
Columbus Pre-Nationals Picnic: July 12 2014, 12-3 PM, at Blendon Woods Metro Park in Westerville, OH. Click here for the flier. (6/16/14)
Cleveland OJCL Summer Picnic: July 13 2014, 1-4 pm, Edgewater Park, Cleveland, OH 44102. Click here for the informational flier. (6-3-14)
NEW!! OJCL Promotional Video Contest (with CASH prizes), deadline to upload video to Google Drive is NOW JUNE 6 2014):
- In honor of National Classics Week, we are releasing our newest contest, the OJCL National Classics Week Promotional Video Contest! We are challenging your local chapter to create a 2-5 minute video addressing the theme, “Why do you love the Classics?”
- Your video has the chance to be featured on the OJCL website and to be shown to prospective OJCL schools!
- Awards include monetary prizes to your local chapters: 1st place receives $100; 2nd place, $50; and 3rd place, $25!
- Here are: the rubric for the contest, the judging sheets, the required Media Release form.
- Upload to Google Drive (this requires a member of the school chapter to have a gmail) and share the video with this email: email@example.com. Deadline is May 24.
Congratulations to the newly appointed OJCL officers! (4-24-14)
- Editor Dustin Argo (Summit)
- Historian Hannah Barrett (Shaker Heights)
Travel to NJCL Convention (4-19-14):
- Larry Dean is again organizing a bus for the Cincinnati people. 55 seats are on the bus. About 20 are for Summit students. The other 35 are for others on a first come, first served basis. Email Larry Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following information about students who want to be on the bus: name, phone number, email. It will leave early on Sun July 27 (with a stop somewhere fun, suggestions are welcome) and return on the afternoon of Sat Aug 2. Cost will be somewhere under $100, and you will need to sign up for the $55 Pre-Convention Housing for Sun July 27 at Emory.
- Nora Murphy (email@example.com) is the contact person for the Cleveland people. Cleveland flight information: Akron/Canton, 7/27 AirTran (7:45 pm) and Atlanta, 8/2 Hopkins Frontier (4:25 pm). You will need to sign up for the $55 Pre-Convention Housing for Sun July 27 at Emory.
- Emelie Inderhees (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the contact person for the Cental region. Columbus flight information: CMH, 7/27 AirTran #5154 (10:55 am) and Atlanta, 8/2 AirTran #5040 (1:55 pm). You will need to sign up for the $55 Pre-Convention Housing for Sun July 27 at Emory.
Congratulations to the winners of the $100 OJCL Scholarships to attend the NJCL Convention! This year set a record for the most applications. Checks for the winners will be mailed this week. (4-7-2014)
- Sameer Apte (Shaker Heights)
- Will Beatrez (St. Edward)
- Julia Dean (Summit)
- Tullus Dean (Summit)
- Joseph Delamerced (Summit)
- Tino Delamerced (Summit)
- Will Emery (Granville)
- Allison Kao (Shaker)
- Caroline Klette (Summit)
- Ben Robertson (Shaker)
- Narayan Sundararajan (Shaker)
- Jocelyn Ting (Shaker)
- Connor Tomshack (St. Edward)
- Sara Zandvakili (Indian Hill)
Here is the information about OH Certamen Tryouts and Summit Summer Latin Program. The teams will compete at the NJCL Convention at Emory University (Atlanta GA). The document also includes information about the Summer Latin Program run by Certamen Coach Larry Dean at Summit. (4-4-14)
Congratulations to the new Gubernators selected last night at a cyber meeting of the OJCL Executive Board! (3-24-14)
- SW – Sara Zandvakili (Indian Hill)
- NE – Allison Kao (Shaker Heights)
- NW – Will Beatrez (St. Edwards)
- Central – Tim Goldenberg (Granville)
Shaker Heights teacher Nora Murphy is hosting a gathering for Latin teachers on May 7 at her home. All Latin teachers of all levels are invited! (3/23/14)
Ecce! Tibi OSCL pecuniam dare vult! Seniors can now apply for the OSCL Book Award. Deadline is Fri April 11. (3/23/14)
Applications for the 6 appointed positions (4 gubernators, editor, historian) are due by Thurs March 20. And congratulations to Katarina Packis (Westlake) who was selected by the Executive Board to fill the vacancy at 2nd VP!
Now available: the application for the 10 $100 scholarships to the NJCL Convention – deadline is March 24. (3-10/14)
Certamen schedules and results! It’s like Latin ESPN! (3-7-14)
Here is the Feb 2014 OJCL Torch by Editor Jane Klaus (Ursuline Academy). (3-3-14)
2014 Convention Announcements (2-13-14):
- Everyone at the 2014 Convention must fill out this permission slip.
- Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the admiration of your peers? Tryout for the annual talent show ‘OJCL’s Got Talent!‘
Pre-Convention Deadline MOVED to Monday, Feb. 10th. (from Mrs. I, 2/6/14)
The pre-file form for OJCL elected office is now live: http://ojcl.org/students/prefile.php. Applications are due February 5th. (from Parliamentarian Will Emery, 1/13/14)
Registration & Payment Deadlines for 2014 OJCL Convention (from Mr. I, 1/11/14)
- 1 February: Online Registration
- 8 February: 50% of fees due, deadline for withdrawal with 100% reimbursement
- 15 February: deadline for withdrawal with 50% reimbursement
- 7 March: 100% of fees due by arrival at Convention
The Shaker Heights Certamen will be Feb 2 2014. (1/7/14)
Parliamentarian Will Emery created this document to explain the duties of the various offices of the Executive Board. (12/2/2013)
On Dec. 1 2013, the Executive Board passed an amendment to the By-Laws involving the duties of the 1st and 2nd VPs. Service will be a duty of the 2nd VP beginning with the election of the 2015-2016 officers at the 2015 OJCL Convention. Click here for the full text of the amendment. (12/2/2013)
OJCL Treasurer Narayan Sundararajan has give each of the 3 GA’s a ‘spirit theme’ for the 2014 Convention. Click here to print off more information. (11/25/2013)
Here is the UPDATED Cleveland certamen schedule (10/19/2013):
- St. Edward Open Certamen: Saturday, Nov 2, 1-3:30 pm
- Westlake Certamen (and Gift Wrap): Saturday, December 14 11 am
- Shaker Certamen: Sunday, February 2nd, 1 pm
FLIERS FOR THE 3 REGIONAL 2013 OJCL MADD EVENTS (10/1/13)
OJCL Editor Jane Klaus (Ursuline) has completed the Fall 2013 Edition of The Torch! It contains detailed information about the 3 regional MADD events, articles about nationals, and much more. (10/1/13)
Interested in giving 1 of the 6 ‘Opening/Closing Speeches’ at the 2014 OJCL Convention? There are 6 speeches total – 1 to open the 3 General Assemblies, 1 to close them. 3 of the slots are already filled: NJCL President Danny Trunzo, OSCL President Logan Nagel, and OJCL President Tino Delamerced. Contact OJCL President Tino Delamerced (email@example.com) if you have something to say! (9/26/13)
Here is the Cleveland certamen schedule (9/17/2013):
- Westlake Certamen (and Gift Wrap): Saturday, December 14 11 am
- Shaker Certamen: Sunday, February 2nd, 1pm
Here is an article about the August 2013 retirement of long-time Latin teacher and OJCL sponsor William Prueter of West Geauga. His school consistently placed 1st in the ‘Academic Per Capita’ competion at the State Convention. (9/16/2013)
Cincinnati Certamen Schedule for 2013-2014 (all certamen are on Saturday, from 9 am – 11ish am)
Here are a few new things (9/10/13):
- Official Minutes of the OJCL Executive Board Meeting in Columbus on Sept 7 2013, by Secretary Emily Haussler
- Summary of Cincinnati Fall Sponsors Meeting at Moeller on Sept 9 2013, by Larry Dean, Student Chair
- Change to Banner Judging, Proposed by Emelie Inderhees, Contest Chair
Here is a list of important reminders about the UNLV Convention. (7/18/13)
Here is a suggested packing list for the 2013 NJCL at UNLV created by OJCL Treasurer Narayan Sundararajan. (7/9/13)
Below are the OH Competitive Certamen Teams for the 2013 NJCL Convention at UNLV. Congratulationes et Optimam Fortunam! (7/3/2013)
- Tullus Dean (Summit)
- Patrick Fox (St. Edward)
- Soren Gran (St. Edward)
- Sam Katz (Shaker Heights)
- Will Beatrez (St. Edward)
- Alex Lathem (Westlake)
- Matthew McMillan (Shaker Heights)
- Anav Sood (Shaker Heights)
- Tino Delamerced (Summit)
- Jesse Campbell (Summit)
- Mollie Effler (McAuley)
- Ben Robertson (Shaker Heights)
- Adam Sichel (Indian Hill)
*Tino and Adam will play in every round; Mollie, Ben, and Jesse will rotate in different rounds
NJCL at UNLV! (6/14/2013)
- T-shirts: The tshirt design is complete! Everyone is expected to wear their OH tshirt at convention. The cost is $11 with checks made out to ‘OJCL.’ Please click here to see the design, order the correct size, and get the address for the payment: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0B4EAEAE292-ohshirt
- Spirit: Click here for what to bring for OH Spirit at Nationals (by Narayan Sundararajan).
- General Info: Click here for general information about the OJCL officers (by Narayan Sundararajan).
Outgoing OJCL Editor Regina Merrill (Summit) has completed the 2013 Spring Torch. Optime, Regina! (5/24/13)
Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati will all be having ‘End of the Year’ + ‘Looking Forward to NJCL Convention’ picnics. All Latin students are invited to join the fun! (5/15/13)
- Cleveland – June 9, 1-4 pm, Edgewater Park – flier with full details – firstname.lastname@example.org Allison Kao (Shaker Heights)
- Columbus – June 8, Sharon Woods, 1-4 pm – flier with full details – email@example.com Henry Bacha (Wellington)
- Cincinnati – June 1, 12-2 pm, Ault Park – flier with full details – firstname.lastname@example.org Ra’ad Dawod (St. Xavier)
Here are the minutes for the OJCL Executive Board Meeting and the minutes for the OJCL Sponsors Meeting on April 20, 2013. (4/27/2013)
Are you going to Nationals at UNLV and interested in trying out for the OH Competitive Certamen teams? If the answer is ‘Ita Vero!’ then click here for full information about the tryouts. Even if you are not going to Nationals or playing certamen, maybe you want to improve your Latin skills and knowledge of the classical world – there is a summer Latin program at Summit Country Day School in Cincinnati. Come on in and join the summer fun! (4/25/2013)
Congratulations to the 2 new members of the Executive Board who were appointed at the Spring Meeting (4/20/13):
- Editor Jane Klaus (Ursuline)
- Historian Will Beatrez (St. Edward)
The OJCL Executive Board selected the 4 Gubernators for next year at a recent ‘cybermeeting (4/8/2013):
- Allison Kao, Shaker Heights (NE)
- Eleni Packis, Westlake (NW)
- Henry Bacha, Wellington (Central Belt)
- Ra’ad Dawod, St. Xavier (SE)
The 16 winners of the $100 OJCL Scholarship to the 2013 NJCL Convention at UNVL have been announced! Click here for the list. (3/31/2013)
Interested in proposing a change in the OJCL By-Laws or an amendment to the OJCL Constitution? Parliamentarian Will Emery wants to hear from you. Click here to make a suggestion. (3/25/2013)
Message about the selection of next year’s Gubernators and Editor and Historian from Parliamentarian Will Emery: “We still have six appointed positions that need to be filled by the best and brightest in the OJCL. If you are a strong leader, avid administrator, or want to give back to the organization, please apply. The open positions are: SE Gubernator, Central Gubernator, NE Gubernator, NW Gubernator, Torch Editor, and Historian. Interested students must email me (email@example.com) an Appointed Officer Application by April 1 for Gubernators and April 15 for Torch Editor and Historian.” (3/21/2013)
The application for the $100 OJCL Scholarship for the 2013 NJCL Convention is now available. It must be emailed to State Chair Larry Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59 Mon March 25. (3/5/13)
OJCL Editor Regina Merrill has completed the Winter 2013 issue of ‘The Ohio Torch.’ (3/1/13)
Here are some announcements from the Feb 9 2013 Executive Board meeting regarding the 2013 OJCL Convention (2/13/13, updated 2/17/13):
- Eveyone attending the convention must fill out this permission slip.
- Project Linus will again be the charity for the convention – it will receive the proceeds from the ‘coin wars’ and will be the service project at the convention itself.
- Send in pix to Historian Becky Steffen (email@example.com) – PLEASE! Becky has not received ANYTHING so far, and she needs stuff for the state scrapbook.
- The convention program itself and the ‘posters-with-schedule-posted-in-the-hallways’ will contain QR codes for Smartphones.
- There are 3 offices in a State of Emergency: President (1 candidate), 1st Vice-President (no candidates), and Secretary (1 candidate). If you have any students interested in these offices, contact Parliamentarian Bobby McDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, there will be vote at convention on 2 amendments to the OJCL Constitution.
- There will again be 4 Colloquia at Convention on Sat afternoon. More info on these will be forthcoming: Latin Storytime (OJCL President Heather Smith), Classics in the Movies (various OJCL officers), Music, Art, and the Classics (various OJCL officers); and Frescoes, Learn about them, then make one (Dr. Janette Knowles, Ohio Dominican University).
- OJCL’s Got Talent! is back for its 2nd year! Online is now available here.
- Here are the official minutes from Secretary Tino Delamerced for the Feb 9 OJCL Executive Board Meeting.
Suggest a theme for the 2013 Convention here. (2/5/2013)
IMPORTANT DEADLINES FOR THE 2013 OJCL CONVENTION (1/22/13):
- Jan 26 – Convention Registration
- Feb 1 – OJCL Membership (to be in ‘Good Standing’)
- Feb 2 – Pre-Convention Projects
- Feb 6 – Pre-File Forms for OJCL Elected Offices
The Candidate Prefile Application is now available online. If you don’t see your school listed, remind your sponsor to submit your membership information. (12/11/2012).
The Creative Contest Documents 2013 for OJCL Convention 2013 have been posted. View the “Creative Arts” tab for the complete PDF. (11/14/2012)
The details for the OJCL Make a Difference Day Service Events for Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland are now finalized (10/2/2012).
Each of the 3 main OH areas – Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland – has released the local certamen schedule for the 2012-2012 school year (9/22/2012).
OJCL Editor Regina Merrill has published her 1st edition of the OJCL Torch (9/22/2012).
Here are the official minutes of the OJCL Executive Board Meeting on Sept 8, 2012 (9/8/2012).
Changes have been made to various projects (8/28/12):
- Banner will now have students doing a short presentation to the judges to explain the subject matter and construction of the banner.
- Short Film has been eliminated, but there are 2 new Pre-Convention Club Contests: Music Video (on Julius Caesar) and Commercial (on Hercules).
- Minor changes to Creative Arts have been highlighted in the rules.
Important dates for OJCL Executive Board (8/2/12):
- Sat Sept 8, Fall OJCL Board Meeting
- Sat Feb 9, Winter OJCL Board Meeting
- Fri March 8 – Sun March 10, OJCL Convention [different from last year, and remember that officers are expected to arrive the evening of Thurs March 7]
- Sat April 20, Changeover Meeting
- July 22-26, NJCL Convention, Las Vegas
Mr. Dean’s daily updates on the 2012 NJCL Convention can be found here. (8/1/12)
Information about 2012 National Convention at Wake Forest in July has been posted here. (5/29/12)
OJCL Editor Susan Wallace (Madeira) has completed her 3rd and final edition of the Torch. Click here to see some great pictures & articles about the OJCL. (5/1/2012)
Both the OJCL Executive Board and the OJCL Sponsors had meetings on Sat April 21st (Rome’s 2,765th B-Day!).
- Click here for a concise summary of the important stuff from Executive Board/Sponsors Meeting on April 21 2012 in Columbus. (4/21/2012)
- Click here for the official minutes from the Executive Board meeting by OJCL Secretary Tino Delamerced.
- Click here for the official minutes from the Sponsors meeting by State Chair Larry Dean. (4/21/2012)
The Ohio Senior Classical League is accepting applications for its 2012 Book Award Scholarship. The award is hundreds of dollars for book expenses at college. It is for graduating high school seniors. The deadline is Friday May 4th at 11:59 pm. Click here to download the application. (4/16/2012)
Academic tests and keys for 2012 and 2010 have been posted under Academics on the Contest Page. (3/5/2012)