Each post is dated at the end to indicate when it was written. To find news from 2012-2017, view this page for older announcements and updates.
2019 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
Interested in becoming a member of the OJCL Executive Board? Consider applying for the position of Editor or Historian! Here is the
form to apply. It is due by 11:59 P.M. on Tuesday, April 30. (4-6-19)
Here are the NJCL T-Shirt Design Contest Guidelines! Submissions are due by 11:59 P.M. on Wednesday, April 3, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org! (3-25-19)
Going to NJCL Convention? Here is the information about the 2019 OJCL Scholarship to Nationals! Due 11:59 P.M. on April 5, 2019. (3-7-19)
The 2019 OJCL Spring Torch is out! Check it out here! (6-3-19)
We hope you are excited for NJCL Convention! It is from Friday, July 26 to Wednesday, July 31. The flight from Cincinnati will leave early in the morning on Thursday, July 25, and the flight from Fargo will leave early in the morning on Wednesday, July 31. Here are the flights which Larry Dean is taking. Students are not required to take these flights, but he will chaperone any students who are on these flights.
Certamen in the spring? Euge! The Ursuline certamen is Saturday, April 6th! Registration starts at 9:00 AM, play begins around 9:30 AM, and everything should be wrapped up by about noon. (4-4-19)
The OJCL Sponsors’ Meeting is Saturday, April 6th from 10:30am-12:15pm at The Wellington School. (3-28-19)
Convention registration (completed by sponsors): January 18, 2019
Pre-Convention Contests due (completed by students): Friday, January 25, 2019
Winter Torch submissions: Friday, January 25, 2019
Candidate PreFile (This link is no longer active 3-27-19) (completed by students): Sunday, February 24, 2019
Creative Arts & Certamen registration (completed by sponsors): March 1, 2019
Graphic Arts registration (online, completed by students): March 5, 2019
Roll Call submission: March 7, 2019, 11:59pm.
Treasurer Katlyn Havlin is proud to release the
2019 OJCL Convention Spirit Themes! (This link is no longer active 3-27-19) (2-6-19)
Join us for “Coffee and the Classics,” a special event in conjunction with the University of Cincinnati, on February 9 2019. For more information, please see the attached flyer. (1-31-19)
Register for the “Bazaagora”
here! (This link is no longer active 3-27-19) (1-28-19)
Have you ever wanted to give a speech at Convention? Submit to the Speech Contest! Deadline is February 25th. (1-27-19)
Parliamentarian Marcus Grewal is pleased to release the 2019 OJCL Executive Board
Candidate PreFile (This link is no longer active 3-27-19) form. The deadline is Sunday, February 24, 2019. (1-20-19)
Congratulations to this year’s OSCL Book and Packet Award winners! They are:
View the Fall Service of the Season Contest results here ! (1-12-19)
Editor, Allie Hinnenkamp, is now accepting articles to be featured in the Winter Edition of the Torch! These articles can be on any topic, as long as they connect to the OJCL or the Classics. Articles should be about 200-600 words long in length (150-450 for chapter updates), and sent to email@example.com by January 25. (1-7-19)
The OSCL is now accepting applications for its annual scholarship to attend the OJCL convention. The application is at the following link:
http://www.ohioscl.org/ (This link is no longer active 3-27-19). Please email the OSCL board if there are any questions or issues! Applications are due 1/10 (1-4-19)
2018 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
Make a Difference Day Events:
- South: Trail restoration at California Woods Nature Preserve on October 20 from 12:30pm-3:30pm; view flier for more information and fill out this permission slip.
- Central: TBA
- North: Park cleanup at Buckeye Woods Park on October 20 from 10am-2pm; view flier for more information. (10/3/18)
Sat Oct 6, 9 am – 5 pm: ‘Fall Forum’ at Columbus Academy – it is a fun ‘mini-convention’ with an interactive lecture, academic test, impromptu art, certamen, Ultimate frisbee & Capture the Flag, and more! Bring $5 for pizza lunch and another $5 for the bus.
- Fall Forum Flier with information
- OCC-OJCL FALL FORUM 2018 Schedule
- You must do the
online sign up(This link is no longer active 3-27-19) to guarantee a spot on the Cincinnati bus to Columbus Academy.
- The bus will leave Summit at 6:45 am.
- It will then leave Columbus Academy around 5 pm and arrive back at Summit around 8 pm.
- A check for $5, made out to Summit, can be handed to Mr. Dean as the student boards the bus.
Sun Oct 14, 1-3 pm: Out of the Darkness Walk for Suicide Prevention at Sawyer Point – meet at the Cincinnatus statue at 12:45! If you want to donate, I have created a team for the walk in honor of my late wife and fellow Latin teacher Andrea Weis. (posted by Larry Dean, 9/24/18)
Cincinnati bus to the Fall Forum, Sat Oct 6, at Columbus Academy:
- You must do the
online sign up(This link is no longer active 3-27-19) to guarantee a spot.
- It will leave Summit at 6:45 am.
- It will then leave Columbus Academy around 6 pm and arrive back at Summit around 8 pm.
- A check for $5, made out to Summit, can be handed to me as the student boards the bus.
thanks, Larry Dean 513-502-0108 firstname.lastname@example.org
- The South pre-nationals picnic will take place on July 14 from 1PM-3PM at the pavilion in Ault Park. View the flier for more details and email email@example.com with any questions.
- The Central pre-nationals picnic will take place on June 16 from 6PM-8PM at Sharon Woods Park. View the flier for more details and email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The North pre-nationals picnic will take place on June 22 from 12PM-3:30PM at Lakewood Park. View the flier for more details and email email@example.com with any questions.
If you are interested in participating in Ludi or Olympika events at nationals, please fill out this
form (This link is no longer live 3-27-19) to sign up for all your events! Doing Ludi is a great chance to have fun getting active and make new friends from different states. (6-5-18)
Has your club done an awesome service event? Enter the OJCL Service of the Season Contest! View more details here. (6-1-18)
NJCL T-shirt design contest 2018! We are seeking the best designs from across the state of Ohio to help design this year’s shirt for Nationals at Miami University! Enter for the opportunity to see your own design on our state t-shirt! Read over the rules and guidelines, and send submissions to Treasurer Katlyn Havlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Tuesday, April 10th 2018, The OJCL community suffered an immense tragedy with the passing of Seven Hills student Kyle Plush. Charlie Dwight, Seven Hills Latin Club president, wrote the following about Kyle:
Ave Atque Vale, Kyle
“And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count; it’s the life in your years.” On April 10th, 2018, the Seven Hills community and Latin Club suffered a tremendous loss. Sophomore Kyle Plush passed away in a tragic accident. However, the 16 short years he was alive — and certainly the three years he participated in our Latin Club — were filled with an infinite amount of enthusiasm, energy, and pure joy. Every question he asked brought us laughter, every suggestion he made brought us improvement, and every smile that lit up his face brought us happiness. Kyle was also remarkably intelligent. Everyone appreciated his extraordinary memory — as only a freshman, he got the highest score of our entire club on the OJCL Mythology test. There was no class he did not participate in, no teacher he did not impress, and no discussion that was not improved by his insightful comments.But what truly defined Kyle was the passion and enthusiasm with which he tackled everything he did. He spent hours reading D’Aulaire’s and Edith Hamilton’s Mythology. He showed up to every club meeting, worked on every club project, and constantly asked if there was anything else he could do to help.No matter the situation, Kyle could always improve your day: with a smile, a laugh, and a “Hello!” in the hallway. We will all be forever grateful that Kyle was a part of our lives. (4-15-18)
The UC Classics Club and Department are once again hosting their annual Homerathon, a live reading of selections from the Iliad and the Odyssey on Saturday, April 14th from 10am-3pm on Blegen Lawn. The day will also feature tours of our study collection and our world-renowned library as well as games! Pizza will be provided, although bringing a dish to share (chips, cookies, etc.) is encouraged. Here is the flyer, and here is a link to our event page on facebook where the most up-to-date information will be posted (including the schedule as soon as it is finalized!). (4/5/18)
Bored now that Convention is over? Want to make charity cards to win prize money for your club? Participate in the OJCL Card Drive for Hospitalized Kids! Send cards by Monday, April 16 for your chapter to be considered for a cash prize. See the flier for details here.
5 of the positions on the Executive Board are appointed: Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators for the North, Central, and South regions. We encourage students to apply for these offices! Members of the newly elected Executive Board and the appointed positions from last year’s board (i.e. Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators) will appoint members to these offices. (3/16/18)
- To apply for one of the Gubernators,
click here and fill out the form.(This link is no longer live 3-27-19)
- To apply for the Editor and Historian,
click here and fill out the form.(This link is no longer live 3-27-19)
- To find out more about the duties of these positions please review Article 5 of the By-Laws.
The deadline to apply for a Gubernator position is Friday, March 30.
The deadline to apply for Editor or Historian is Friday, April 14.
BREAK OUT ROOM SIGN UP If you would like to sign up for the break out room sessions (think Locked in a Room with a Zombie, but Classically themed… and no zombies), please sign up in the links below! There are two sessions, both late on Saturday night. A student may only do one. There is a limit to 32 students per session; the form will let you know if 32 have already signed up for a session. (3-5-18)
- Link to Sign up for Session 1:
https://goo.gl/forms/cNVNKpRGHjaavjjF2(This link is no longer live 3-27-19)
- Link to sign up for Session 2:
https://goo.gl/forms/PgDyiI4k5RDlO1L72(This link is no longer live 3-27-19)
Pre-Registration for Graphic Arts Contests is due March 5, tonight at 11:59 PM! Pre-register your projects now:
Do you have merchandise that you want to sell? Do you need to raise extra funds for your club? Do you have another fun, awesome item you want people to see?
Participate in the OJCL Bazaar! Sign up here! (This link is no longer live 3-27-19) (2-27-18)
- Features an invitation to States, convention advice, anecdotes from past events, and so much more!
- A special thank you to NJCL Parliamentarian Sarah Lee, NJCL Historian Ana Ohnersorgen, NJCL Editor Jade Woods, and New Mexico JCL 1st Vice President Garrett Frye-Mason for submitting articles. We appreciate the contributions from all over the country!
- Guest writers: NJCL Communications Coordinator Lynn Ahrens, Craig Bush, Patrick Casanas, Davis DeFoor, Richard Garber, Katlyn Havlin, Elizabeth Mushaben, and Connie Nelson. Thank you for submitting articles!
Historian Ellie Kammerer releases her Historian Guide! This information is useful for historians on both the local and state level. Check it out here! (2-13-18)
Saturday, Feb 24, 9:00-11:30 am – Last Cincinnati certamen before the State Championship at the OJCL Convention at Mt. Notre Dame! See flier here. (2-11-18)
Congratulations to Katlyn Havlin of McAuley High School for winning our Photo of the Season contest for Winter! View the full list of winners for Winter here, and be sure to submit your Spring submissions by May 16th. (2-8-18)
State Convention: 2018 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form – required! Turn the form into your Latin teacher. (2-7-18)
February 10, 9 am – 11:30 am: 22nd Annual Summit Certamen – please bring certamen machines. See flier here. (2-7-18)
The Pre-file form for candidates running for the 2018-2019 OJCL Executive Board is now live.
Click here to complete the form. (The link is no longer live.) Please consult the Constitution and By-Laws – there are changes to duties of certain offices. The deadline is February 18. Contact Parliamentarian Julia Dean (email@example.com) if you have any further questions or concerns. (1-14-18)
The OJCL Speech Contest deadline has been extended to Saturday, February 17. Additionally, those delegates introducing candidates for office are now ALLOWED to join the contest. View the rules here, bearing in mind these changes. Contact 1st Vice President Caroline Klette (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. (1-11-18, updated 2-13-18)
The Classics Department of the University of Cincinnati is accepting applications for the Semple Scholarship. The deadline is January 25, 2018. Click here for the application. (1-10-18)
Official minutes of the OJCL Winter Planning Meeting by Secretary Jason Suh. (1-6-18)
Columbus Academy’s annual MLK Day Project Linus event is on January 15! Blankets will be made for hospitalized children. Contact Central Gubernator Marcus Grewal (email@example.com) for any questions. More details on this flier. (1-6-18)
On Saturday, January 27 from 9:00-12:00, the Seven Hills Certamen will take place! See flier for more details and directions. (1-5-18)
- January 4, 2018: Deadline for submission of Constitutional amendments
- January 15, 2018: Deadline for Winter Torch article submissions
- January 27, 2018: Photo of the Season submission deadline
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for NJCL membership without late fee
- February 3, 2018: Pre-Convention project submission deadline AND Convention registration deadline
- February 7, 2018: Postmark deadline for paying only 50% of Convention cost
- February 18, 2018: Prefile for the OJCL Executive Board deadline
- March 2, 2018: Creative Contest registration deadline
- March 5, 2018: Graphic Arts project pre-registration deadline
- March 8, 2018: Roll Call Pre-Approval deadline
- March 9, 2018: Beginning of 2018 OJCL Convention; 100% of Convention cost due