Each post is dated at the end to indicate when it was written. To find news from 2012-2015, view this page for older announcements and updates.
2017 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
The OJCL Executive Board would like to thank everyone who attended our 2nd Annual Fall Forum! Pictures from the event, courtesy of Historian Ellie Kammerer, are being uploaded on our Flickr account. (10-8-17)
- Features an invitation to the 2nd Annual Fall Forum from President Joseph Delamerced, details about the new Photo of the Season contest, information about classical archaeology in Ohio, multiple chapter updates, and more!
- A special thank you to New Mexico JCL 1st Vice President Garrett Frye-Mason, Louisiana JCL Editor Alex Morgan NJCL Historian Eric Wang, and Nevada JCL Co-President Joshua Ocampo for submitting articles. We appreciate the contributions from all over the country!
- Guest writers: Abby Almaguer, John Brady, Patrick Casanas, Chlole Constantinides, Gwyneth Fletcher, Hannah Frame, Katlyn Havlin, Megan Johnson, Morgan McGee, Elizabeth Mushaben. Thank you for submitting articles!
On November 12, Shaker Heights will host an Open Certamen! Contact email@example.com for more details or questions. (9-27-17)
Fall Forum: Athens Besieged! Want to be part of the game simulation Athens Besieged at the Fall Forum? It will be a fun and interactive approach to the ancient city Athens. You need to sign up to receive materials a few days before the Fall Forum so that you are ready to play! If you are familiar with the NJCL Roman Murder Mystery!, you’ll love Athens Besieged. Registration is now closed as of 10-3-17. (9-25-17)
Fall Forum is on Saturday, October 7 at the Columbus Academy! Open Certamen, Ludi, Election Colloquia, and more: see the program of events here. Click here to download a flier made by Secretary Jason Suh. (9-16-17)
Make A Difference Day Schedule (released 9-16-17):
- Central: September 30 at Nationwide Children’s Hospital’s Pumpkinpalooza from 12:30-4:30 PM. Flier!
- South: November 11 at California Woods Nature Preserve. Flier coming soon.
- North: November 26 for a Little Free Library/Book Drive. More details coming soon.
Check out the Digital Scrapbook for the 2017 OJCL created by former Historian Caroline Klette! (8-31-17)
Seven local South Ohio Certamina are scheduled for the 2017-2018 school year! All are on Saturday morning, with registration beginning at 9 am. The competition begins around 9:30 and ends around 11:30. Fliers (with directions!) will be posted 1-2 weeks before the Certamen. (8-30-17)
- September 23 – Moeller Open Certamen (N.B. Open Certamen means that students from different schools will be randomly placed on teams.)
- November 4 – University of Cincinnati – followed by free pizza(!) and free Odyssey performance(!!!) by Joe Goodkin
- December 2 – Miami University
- January 6 – Xavier University
- January 27 – Seven Hills
- February 10 – Summit Country Day
- February 24 – Mt. Notre Dame
New year, new Latin Club! Please read and fill out this Latin Club contact information sheet and email the completed form to President Joseph Delamerced at firstname.lastname@example.org. (8-21-17)
Editor Taylor McGowan is accepting articles to the Fall edition of the OJCL Torch! Email email@example.com your articles! (7-8-17)
Historian Ellie Kammerer has released a brand-new contest: Photo of the Season! Click here to view the rules. Enter every season for a chance to earn CASH PRIZES and STATEWIDE RECOGNITION! (7-1-17)
Historian Ellie Kammerer has uploaded almost 1000 photos from NJCL 2017 at Troy University! Click here to view them. (6-31-17)
The office of Secretary is vacant. Click here to apply. Deadline is September 1. (6-31-17)
For those people going to Nationals, here is the link to order the spirit package (state t-shirts + materials for spirit), only $15: Ohio Junior Classical League National Spirit Package 2017.
- Features winning Pre-Convention contests, a “Greetings from Rome”, an invitation to NJCL Convention by the NJCL President, and a college corner about Ohio State University’s Classics Program!
- N.B.: Joomag works on mobile!
- A special thank you to NJCL President Lyle Seeligson, NJCL Historian Eric Wang, and VJCL President Alyssa Funai for submitting articles! We appreciate the contributions from all over the country!
- Guest writers: Richard Garber, Sophia Jacobs, and Sara Zandvakili. Thank you for submitting articles!
Excited for Nationals? Watch this 30-second video with clips from the National Convention at IU! (5-22-17)
NJCL T-shirt Contest! We are seeking the best designs from across the state of Ohio to help design this year’s shirt for Nationals at Troy University! Enter for the opportunity to see your own design on our state t-shirt! Read over the rules and guidelines, and send submissions to Treasurer Grant Bruner at firstname.lastname@example.org. (5-20-17)
Pre-Nationals picnics have been a long-held tradition of the OJCL. Every year before Nationals, OJCLers eat food together, play games, and prepare for spirit. OJCL officers will also be at the picnics in all regions, so we encourage you to come out! (posted 5-20-17)
- Saturday, July 8 at the field by the Upper West Pavilion in Edgewater Park, 1-3 PM
- Contact person: North Gubernator Owen Kranz – email@example.com
- Saturday, July 15 at the Outdoor Learning Center at Columbus Academy, 11 AM-2 PM
- Parking map!
- Contact person: Central Gubernator Marcus Grewal – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, June 17 at the first shelter on the left of the circle in Ault Park, 1-3 PM
- Contact person: South Gubernator Hanna Zandvakili – email@example.com
Info about the Cincinnati bus to/from Troy University: Larry Dean (513-502-0108, firstname.lastname@example.org) is organizing a Cincinnati bus to/from Troy University (AL) for the 2017 NJCL Convention. 2 THINGS ARE REQUIRED: SIGN UP GENIUS (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati) AND THE CHECK FOR $154.50.
- NO SPOT IS RESERVED UNTIL I RECEIVE THE CHECK TO OJCL – teachers/adults ride for free
- 56 seats are on the charter bus
- The bus will leave Summit on Sun July 23 at 7 am.
- The bus will leave Troy University on Sat July 29 at 9 am.
- Cost: send a check for $154.50 made out to ‘Ohio Junior Classical League’ to ‘3098 Losantiville Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45213.’
- You will need to sign up for the Pre-Convention Housing ($50) for Sun July 29 at Troy University.
Info about the Cleveland/Columbus transportion to/from Troy University:
- Frontier flight on Sunday July 23: F9 1364, leaving Cleveland at 2:14 pm, arriving Atlanta 4:12. Contact Nora Murphy with questions: email@example.com
- Delta flights on Saturday, July 29:
to Cleveland leaving at 12:30
to Columbus leaving at 12:55
- Chartered bus from Atlanta to Troy and back. Contact Daniel Cavoli if you want a spot on the bus – firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to St. Ursula Academy for winning our National Classics Week Contest and being awarded a $75 gift card to a restaurant of their choice! (5-11-17)
OJCL 1st VP Caroline Klette announces the National Classics Week Contests! Winning club will receive $75 for a pizza/dessert celebration! Click here to view the activities for each day from April 21-27. (4-19-17)
SAVE THE DATE! The 2nd Annual Fall Forum will be held on Saturday, October 7 at the Columbus Academy! This is to be held in conjunction with the Ohio Classical Conference Annual Meeting (CEUs available for teachers). (3-31-17)
Come to a celebration of Homer on Saturday, April 1 from 11 am – 4 pm, at the University of Cincinnati. Here is the flier with information about the marathon reading and tours of the ancient material collection at UC and much more!
To apply for the vacant office of North Gubernator, click here and fill out the form by Thursday, March 30. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. When applying, please review our Constitution and By-Laws. (3-19-17)
Congratulations to all the winners of the $100 NJCL Convention Scholarships sponsored by the OJCL! More than the standard 10 scholarships were able to awarded due to the quality of applications and additional funds in the OJCL Student Account. Click here for a full list of recipients. (3-14-17)
2017 National Convention (3-4-17):
- Click here for information about the national convention, including how to register and the cost.
- Click here for information about the Summer Latin Program at Summit – this is especially good for students interested in certamen.
- Click here for information about tryouts for the OH Competitive Certamen teams.
- Apply for 1 of 10 $100 scholarships to the 2017 NJCL Convention. Click here for the application. Deadline is March 10.
To apply for the vacant office of Parliamentarian, click here and fill out the form. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. When applying, please review our Constitution and By-Laws. (3-3-17)
6 of the positions on the Executive Board are appointed: Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators for the North, Central, and South regions. We encourage you to apply for these offices! Members of the newly elected Executive Board and the appointed positions from last year’s board (i.e. Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators) will appoint members to these offices. To apply for one of the appointed positions, click here and fill out the form. When applying, please review our Constitution and By-Laws. (3-3-17)
To view candidates for the 2017-2018 Executive Board as well as constitutional amendments,
please view our candidates page! We also encourage you to listen to their GA II speech as well as to attend Meet the Candidates. (2-25-17)
As of 2-28-17, the Candidates page has been closed because elections have concluded. Thank you for participating in the election process.
The Club Video Contest is due on Saturday night at midnight! Please submit submissions to email@example.com. (2-24-17)
The deadline for Roll Call submission has been extended to Thursday, February 23. See Roll Call rules here. (2-22-17)
Apply for 1 of 10 $100 scholarships to the 2017 NJCL Convention. Click here for the application. Deadline is Friday, March 10. (2-21-17)
Reminder: pre-register your projects by MONDAY at 11:59 PM! (2-19-17)
The Program for the 67th State Convention of the Ohio Junior Classical League has been released! Check it out here! This year’s program was edited by Secretary Vishnu Kasturi (Shaker Heights). It includes: the detailed schedule, a letter from THE President Brian Johnson, the schools in attendance, cartoons, information about the Saturday colloquia, and so much more! If you prefer a quick overview of the weekend events, view the one-page Convention Schedule here. (2-18-17)
Wednesday, February 22, Thursday, February 23, schools must upload their Roll Call idea to YouTube and send it to Treasurer Kelly Thaxton (firstname.lastname@example.org). Schools that do not submit a video by the deadline will be INELIGIBLE to participate in Roll Call at Convention. See the new, updated rules for Roll Call here. (2-16-17)
The 2017 Winter Edition of the OJCL Torch has been released, and it’s our biggest issue to date! Check out a fun Beginner’s Guide to Convention as well as amazing local club updates. (2-12-17)
- 41 pages – our biggest issue to date! Features a fun Beginner’s Guide to Convention as well as local club updates.
- A special thank you to WJCL Editor Margot Armbruster for submitting an article! The Ohio JCL always appreciates the work of the Wisconsin JCL. Additionally, we’d like to thank Michael Bono of the North Carolina JCL for co-writing an article with our OJCL Treasurer.
- Guest writers: Nathan Brunner, Olivia Burdette, Bebe Hodges, Ellie Kammerer, Gabe Sekeres, and Maddy Taylor. Thank you for submitting articles!
Summit Certamen, Sat Feb 4, 9 am – 12 noon! Flier. (2-1-17)
Reminder: Sign up by February 15 to have a booth at the Bazaar! Learn more by clicking here. (1-21-17)
Click here to view the 2017 Rules for the Spirit Competition. Keep in mind the spirit themes! View the three themes here.
Click here to view the updated 2017 Rules for Roll Call. Important addition: schools must submit their roll call idea to Treasurer Kelly Thaxton at email@example.com via YouTube. (1-20-17)
The Ohio Senior Classical League is proud to announce the three WINNERS of the scholarships for the Sixty-Seventh OJCL State Convention! Thank you all to who applied. (1-17-17)
Full scholarship: Ellie Kammerer of McAuley
Half scholarships (2): Payton Cassel of Medina and Abby Almaguer of Summit
Reminder: If you are interested in running for office, please review the roles and duties of the offices on our Documents page as well as Parliamentarian Tullus Dean’s Guide to Running for OJCL Office. (1-12-17)
The Columbus Academy is hosting a Project Linus event at 10:30 AM with pizza provided at 12 PM and Certamen in the afternoon on Martin Luther King Jr. Day on 1/16. It’s always a great, fun time, so we encourage the central Ohio area to attend! (1-10-17)
Important dates for the Sixty-Seventh OJCL Convention (1-9-17):
- Wednesday, January 11: online registration deadline AND Pre-Convention project submission deadline
- Wednesday, January 18: 50% of registration fees due AND deadline for withdrawal with 100% reimbursement AND officer pre-file deadline
- Wednesday, February 1: State and National JCL membership deadline to be considered chapter in good standing AND deadline for application to give a speech at State Convention
- Wednesday, February 15: Deadline to sign up for a booth at the Bazaar
- Friday, February 17: Deadline for all changes in Creative Arts and Certamen sign-ups
- Monday, February 20: Deadline for online pre-registration (mandatory!) of all Graphic Arts contest entries
- Wednesday, February 22: Deadline for schools to submit their roll call idea via YouTube to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, February 24: 100% fees due upon arrival at Convention
Want to give a speech at GA about Latin/JCL? Spots are available! Here is how to submit an application to give a speech. Deadline is February 1. (1-8-17)
The 2017 State Convention Prefile Form for candidates running for the Executive Board is live at this link: http://ojcl.org/students/prefile.php. If you are curious about our current 2016-2017 Executive Board, visit our Student Officers page. (1-4-17)
Those attending the 2017 Convention must fill out the 2017 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form. (1-4-17)
2016 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
Interested in the OJCL Executive Board? Head to our new Student Officers page to learn more about our officers! (12-31-16)
The Xavier University Certamen will be held this Saturday on January 7 from 9 am – 12:30 pm! Click here for the 2017 XU Certamen flier (12-30-16).
The holidays are a great time to start planning for OJCL State Convention, especially the 2017 Bazaar! Click here to learn more information about how to sign up for a booth and earn some cash for your club. Contact Treasurer Kelly Thaxton if you have any further questions. We would like to remind prospective vendors that you will only get a booth if you sign up. (12-26-16)
The Executive Board would like to wish everyone a happy holiday season! (12-16-16)
The Ohio Senior Classical League is sponsoring packet awards to cover the cost of attendance to the OJCL State Convention. The 2017 Packet Award will be awarded any OJCL member and will waive all of that student’s convention fees. The OSCL will also award two awards to OJCL members that will pay for half of the convention attendance cost. (11-28-16)
- Go to http://www.ohioscl.org/awards.html for application information. The application is due December 4.
The Make A Difference Day events were a HUGE success! The three Gubernators report on their events and would like to offer their thanks. (11-25-16)
- North Gubernator Blake Himes: “I owe a huge thanks to the group of OJCLers who attended North MADD on November 6th! After a late rescheduling, we gave Horseshoe Lake Park a lovely shine! It was awesome to see everyone take such care in cleaning a local park. We did a great job cleaning up the park, filling several trash bags. Thanks again to everyone who came out and picked up trash around the whole park.”
- Central Gubernator Aquila Simmons: “The Central Region MADD occurred on November 20th as OJCLers helped to prepare food for a Thanksgiving Day food pantry event. There were several participants, and the leafy greens would be used in salads for those in need. A big thank you to those who attended!”
- South Gubernator Julia Dean: “On Saturday, November 12, a dedicated group of Cincinnati JCLers came to MADD at California Woods Nature Preserve. It was a cold day but everyone worked hard raking, shoveling, carrying mulch up and down a hill, and spreading mulch on trails. By the end of the day, we had restored an entire trail for the park! Overall, students did great work at the southern Make A Difference Day.”
Treasurer Kelly Thaxton has released the 2017 Spirit Themes! (11-6-16)
- The three themes are Club T-Shirt Day, Intergalactic Gallic Wars, and Radical Romans! Email any questions to email@example.com.
Nov 12 – Miami University Certamen: Flier with directions and parking permit (10-31-16)
The OJCL Torch Fall Edition has been released by Editor Lynn Ahrens (Ursuline)! (10-25-16)
- Features a recap of NJCL 2016 (including the spectacular cheers developed by delegates) and a preview of the events to come this year.
- Guest writer: Andrew Phillips. Thank you for submitting an article!
Regional Make A Difference Days (10-5-16):
- Cleveland – NEW DATE: Sun Nov 6, 1-4 pm, Horseshoe Lake Park Cleanup
- Cincinnati – Sat Nov 12, 1:30-4:00, California Woods Nature Preserve permission slip
- Columbus – Sun Nov 20, 12:30-4:30, Broad Street Presbyterian Church (Central MADD attendees must sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f044aaca92da1fb6-central)
Fall Forum photos have been uploaded to our Flickr page, and more photos are still being uploaded. If you have any photos, please email Historian Caroline Klette (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that she can upload your photos to the page. (10-4-16)
From 6-7:30 pm on October 16, the Out of the Darkness Walk for Suicide Prevention will be held at Sawyer Point. The suggested fundraising goal for each walker is $44. Join the OJCL Team, “Magistra Rox,” here: afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=117473 (9-17-16)
- Contact person: Second Vice President Joseph Delamerced (email@example.com).
- Click here for the flier and more information.
OJCL Club Grant Application: The purpose of this grant is to provide local chapters of the Ohio Junior Classical League with monetary help in their efforts to expand their club, provide service to their community, or any other financial reason that they see fit for this grant. Click here for more information and the application. (9-8-16)
Fall Forum: October 1 at Columbus Academy, 10 am – 4 pm. (9-7-16)
- Cincinnati Bus to Fall Forum – leaves Summit at 7:45 am and returns around 6 pm. Give Larry Dean a check for $20 to ‘OJCL’ as you board the bus.
- Fall Forum is a new event that acts as a “mini State Convention.” It includes Open Certamen, Ludi, Service Projects, Pizza, Impromptu Art, Awards and Prizes, and much more.
Cincinnati Local Certamen Schedule: All are on Saturday morning. Registration starts at 9 am. The competition itself begins 9:30ish and ends 11:30ish. Fliers with directions will be sent out in a week or 2 before the certamen. Hope to see you there! (8-26-16)
- Sept 24 – Moeller Open
- Oct 1 – Open Certamen at the Fall Forum at Columbus Academy
- Oct 29 – University of Cincinnati flier with directions
- Nov 12 – Miami University Flier with directions and parking permit
- Jan 7 – Xavier University
- Feb 4 – Summit
- Feb 25 – State Championship at OJCL Convention in Columbus
- July 24-29 – National Championship at NJCL Convention at Troy University AL
Info about the Cincinnati bus to/from IU: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati
Info about the Cleveland/Columbus bus to/from IU: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0A4BADAA2AA7FF2-ojcl
South Region Pre-Nationals Picnic (posted 6-10-16)
- 1-3 pm, Saturday June 25, Ault Park
- Contact person: Southern Gubernator Julia Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A message from 2nd VP Joseph Delamerced (Summit): If your school or chapter has participated in several service events or if you as an individual have a large number of service hours, I encourage you to enter two competitions from the NJCL! The NJCL has two community service contests for you to enter that can gain you national recognition for the work you or your school has done. ENTRIES ARE DUE BY JULY 1! (6-8-16)
- http://goo.gl/forms/HmI9BnbCs0QJ9SGJ2 for Group, Chapter, or School.
- http://goo.gl/forms/cqWG7vYoKgtNkE5D3 for Individual.
1st VP Julia Cardinal (McAuley) has released the winners of the 2 contests to celebrate National Classics Week. (5-26-16)
- Individual ($25 Chipotle gift card!): Finley Kocher (Lancaster HS)
- Club (pizza party!): McAuley HS
For those people going to Nationals, here is the link to order the ‘spirit package’ (state tshirts + spirit materials), only $15: Ohio Junior Classical League National Spirit Package 2016 (5-24-16)
- This mobile-friendly issue features the winning State Convention music video and commercial, an update on Upper Certamen predictions, and an introduction to the new Executive Board.
- Guest writers: NJCL 1st Vice President Michael Kearney (our first Wisconsin writer), Yash Agrawal, Katie Liggett, Natalie More, and Lauren Robinson. Thank you for submitting articles!
- Guest Ludi analyst: Adam Sichel.
Excited for Nationals? Check out this 30-second promotional by 2nd Vice President Joseph Delamerced (Summit). (5-19-16)
Central Gubernator Aquila Simmons (Wellington) reports on a recent regional service event: (5-17-16)
- On May 1st, 2016, the OJCL participated in the Great Strides Walk for Cystic Fibrosis. With a team of over 15 members, we walked about three miles as part of Team Mighty Mickey. Although rain was predicted, we had beautiful weather and a blast supporting the fight for people all across the world living with cystic fibrosis.
Central Region Pre-Nationals Picnic (posted 5-17-16)
- 1 pm to 4 pm, Saturday June 18th
- Sharon Woods Metro Park (6911 Cleveland Avenue Westerville, OH 43081).
- Contact person: Central Gubernator Aquila Simmons (email@example.com).
South Gubernator Julia Dean (Summit) reports on a recent regional service event: (4-18-16)
- On Sat April 16, 9-11 am, 10 Cincinnati area JCLers convened at Matthew 25 Ministries to do some awesome service work! They organized clothing for the needy, and all the clothing happened to be donated Ben Carson campaign material! There were Carson T-shirts, onesies, and even scrubs. Everyone had lots of fun filling up crate after crate of Carson shirts. Go OJCL!
Central Gubernator Aquila Simmons (Wellington) is organizing a service event. (4-8-16)
- May 1st, 12-2 pm, McFerson Commons Park (Arch Park), Columbus, OH
- It is a 5K walk called Great Strides to help raise money for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and to support people diagnosed with that disease.
- We have been invited to join Team Mighty Micky for the walk.
- To participate you must register on the website (link below). I strongly suggest a donation of $10-$20.
1st VP Julia Cardinal (McAuley) has 2 contests to celebrate National Classics Week (April 17-24) – win a pizza party for your club or a gift card to Chipotle! DEADLINE FOR THE SELFIES FOR THE CLUB CONTEST IS EXTENDED TO MAY 2 AT 11:59 PM. (4-7-16)
South Gubernator Julia Dean (Summit) invites all Cincinnati Latin students to participate in a service activity at Matthew 25 (11060 Kenwood Rd, Blue Ash, OH 45242). YOU MUST SIGN UP ONLINE HERE!
Congratulations to the winners of the $100 OJCL Scholarships to attend the NJCL Convention at Indiana University (Bloomington IN)! Checks for the winners will be mailed this week. The quality of the applications and extra money in the OJCL student fund allow the organization to give out a record high 19 scholarships. (3-14-2016)
- Gautam Apte (Shaker)
- Julia Cardinal (McAuley)
- Hali Clark (Summit)
- Julia Dean (Summit)
- Tullus Dean (Summit)
- Joseph Delamerced (Summit)
- Lindsey Dierig (Turpin)
- Charlie Dwight (Seven Hills)
- David Fiora (Turpin)
- Brian Johnson (Shaker)
- Katlyn Havlin (McAuley)
- Maria Henriquez (Turpin)
- Ellie Kammerer (McAuley)
- Vishnu Kasturi (Shaker)
- Sam Katz (Shaker)
- Caroline Klette (Summit)
- Adam Sichel (Indian Hill)
- Jocelyn Ting (Shaker)
- Sara Zandvakili (Indian Hill)
Click here for a fun 1 minute video (by 2nd VP Joseph Delamerced) encouraging Summit students to attend convention. (3-2-16)
DATES FOR THE 2017 CONVENTION: FEBRUARY 24-26!!
The Executive Board is now accepting application for Treasurer, the 3 Gubernators, Editor, and Historian: http://ojcl.org/students/appointed.php. If sponsors or students have any questions, email Parliamentarian Tullus Dean (Summit): firstname.lastname@example.org. (2-23-16)
- OJCL By-Laws: Article 5 of this document has the duties of the various officers. [This document was last updated Jan 2016.]
- Deadline to apply for Treasurer is Wed March 2 at 11:59 pm. The Executive Board will hold a cyber meeting to select the Treasurer and will announce its selection by Wed March 9.
- Deadline to apply for the 3 Gubernators, Historian and Editor is Sun March 20 at 11:59 pm. The Executive Board will hold a cyber meeting to select the 3 Gubernators and will announce its selections by Wed March 30 (in the hope that they can attend the Spring Meeting on Sat April 23).
- Historian and Editor will be selected at the Spring Meeting, and the Executive Board will announce its selections on Sat April 23.
Club Video Contest Info! Club Video Contest 2016! (2-19-16)
Apply for 1 of 10 $100 scholarships to the 2016 NJCL Convention. Click here for the application. Deadline is Fri March 11. There is also another scholarship which covers the entire cost of convention. (2-14-16)
Convention 2016 Schedule (2-8-16)
Do you have something important to say about Latin and the JCL? Want to give a speech to all the delegates at convention during one of the General Assemblies? Click here for details about the ‘Convention Speech Contest’ (deadline is Feb 5). (1-25-16)
Secretary Dustin Argo has edited the minutes of the Jan 9 OJCL Winter Planning Meeting for the 2016 Convention. (1-20-16).
Click here for article and pictures of the Project Linus + Certamen at Columbus Academy on MLK Day. (1-19-16)
2nd VP Sara Sandvakili has created a team called ‘Ohio Junior Classical League’ for the Night for the Fight to Beat Childhood Cancer! It is an overnight event on Fri Feb 26 at the Cintas Center (Cincinnati). (1-9-16)
- The N4TF fundraiser page for the team is at https://www.classy.org/fundraise/team?ftid=64990.
- The Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/events/1545398512445590/.
- To register without a Facebook page, go to nightforthefight.org and join the team ‘Ohio Junior Classical League.’
All GRAPHIC ARTS rules have been updated. These more clearly explain disqualification and the judging process. Please be sure to read these as you are working on your graphic arts! (1-9-16)
REMINDER! PRE-CONVENTION PROJECTS are due WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2016 (11:59 pm)! (1-8-16)
Project Linus Service Event and Certamen will be held at Columbus Academy on MLK day, Jan 18 from 10:30am-2:30pm. If you are able to attend, please email Ms. Bening (email@example.com) with the number of members of your club who will be attending. Please bring $5 for lunch. (1-8-16)
The 2016 Shaker Heights Certamen will be on Feb 7 at 1 pm in its cafeteria. Flier. (1-6-16)
2015 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
Southwest Gubernator Julia Cardinal (McAuley) has posted articles about 2 OJCL service events in Cincinnati in the fall of 2015. (12-29-15)
Congratulations to the following scholarship winners for the 2016 Convention! Thanks to the SCL for providing this opportunity! (12-18-15)
- Katlyn Havlin (McAuley) is receiving the full scholarship.
- Both Autumn McMichael (Wyoming Middle School) and Aleeyah Nurredin (Mount Notre Dame) are receiving half scholarships.
The NJCL Fall Torch 2015 has a number of OH people featured! Check out pages: 7, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24, 27, 29, 35! Go Ohio! (12-4-15)
Check out the Creative Arts Contests page to see this year’s Latin Recitation and Dramatic Interpretation passages! (11-23-15)
Come to the annual Gift Wrap sponsored by the Westlake Latin Club, 10 am – 3 pm, Sat Dec 12! (11-23-15)
Congratulations to the Shaker Heights Latin Club for the winning entries in both the Roman Rap and Promotional Video Contests! The prize? 2 $100 Pizza Parties! (11-23-15)
- Roman Rap Winner: paste this link into your browser, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzJEejKa5CM&feature=youtu.be
- Latin Promotional Video Winner: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dld13vCbFMbWkwd0IwdjVPSms/view
Apply for SCHOLARSHIPS to the 2016 OJCL CONVENTION! The deadline is December 5th, 2015 at 11:59pm. Here the OJCL Convention Scholarship Application! Thanks to the Ohio Senior Classical League for offering this awesome opportunity! (10-28-15)
The OJCL is sponsoring a SAT/ACT/IB Test Prep Book Drive. Flier with info is here. Click here for the online submission, due Nov 28 (NEW DATE, 2 WEEKS LATER). The Latin Club which donates the most books wins $100 for a pizza party! Contact 2nd VP Sara Zandvakili (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions. (10-14-15).
2015-2016 Editor Josh Young (Indian Hill) has completed his 1st issue of the OJCL Torch – it includes videos of the OH delegation from the summer NJCL Convention at Trinity University (San Antonio TX). (10-6-15)
Make a Difference Day! (10-5-15)
- Columbus – Central Gubernator Andrew Zhang reports that the Columbus OJCL had a successful Make a Difference Day
- Cleveland – Sun Oct 25, 1:30-4 PM, Cleveland City Mission – flier with details – please use this link (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F054FA4A72EA6FE3-nenw) to sign up to bring food/drink to the event
- Cincinnati – Sat Nov 14, 2-5 pm, California Woods Nature Preserve – flier with complete details – REQUIRED PERMISSION SLIP
Want the Classics professors of Miami University or the University of Cincinnati to visit your classroom and/or Classics Club and to introduce them to literary, historical, or cultural topics from the ancient world? Click here to find out more about MU’s program and Click here to find out more about UC’s program. (9-28-15)
Central Gubernator Andrew Zhang reports that the Columbus OJCL had a successful Make a Difference Day. (9-21-15)
CHECK OUT THE CONTEST PAGE FOR 2016 CONTEST TOPICS! (8-27-15)
CINCINNATI CERTAMEN SCHEDULE, always Sat mornings, 9-11ish (8-25-15):
- NEW!!!! Sept 19 – Moeller is hosting an Open Certamen! – flier with info and directions
- Oct 3 – Miami University – flier with directions and parking pass
- Nov 14 – University of Cincinnati – flier with directions and parking information
- Dec 5 – Summit – flier
- Jan 9 – Xavier University – flier and detailed map of XU campus
- Jan 30 – Seven Hills – flier
Important dates for OJCL Executive Board (8-20-15)
- Sat Sept 12, (NEW TIME!) 2-4 pm, 2015: Fall Planning Meeting at The Wellington School (Columbus)
- Sat Jan 9, 10 am – 12 noon: Winter Planning Meeting at the Doubletree Hotel (Worthington) – this is the site of the 2016 OJCL Convention
- Fri Feb 19 – Sun Feb 21 2016: OJCL Convention at Doubletree Hotel in Worthington OH – All officers are expected to arrive soon after 6 pm on Thurs Feb 18 to set up for the convention.
- April 23 2016: Changeover Meeting
- July 25 – 30 2016: NJCL Convention at Indiana University (Bloomington IN)
- Sept 17 2016: Fall Planning Meeting
- Jan 7 2017: Winter Planning Meeting
- Fri Feb 17 – Sun Feb 19 2017: OJCL Convention – All officers are expected to arrive soon after 6 pm on Thurs
2015 NJCL Convention Update (7-4-15)
- Cincinnati people: There will be a bus to/from the Louisville airport. It will leave Summit at 5 am on Sun July 26 for the 8:18 am flight. It will then leave Louisville at around 1 pm on Sat Aug 1 for the 12:01 arrival of the flight. Please indicate your intention to take the bus both ways through this online sign up (checks for around $50, made out to OJCL, can be handed to me as the student boards the bus, I am still working out the final details): http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati1
- Everyone, SUN JULY 26: There will be a bus + a van or smaller bus for anyone interested in transportation from the San Antonio airport to Alamo/Riverwalk to Trinity on Sun July 26. The bus will leave the airport at 1:30 pm and get to campus around 6:30. All students arriving on Sun July 26 need to do the pre-convention housing – contact the NJCL if you have not signed up for that. Please make sure that you have done the SignUpGenius and sent the check for $14 so I know how big the 2nd van/bus needs to be: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati
- Everyone, SAT AUG 1: The OJCL has ordered 2 40 person buses for Sat Aug 1 – one will arrive at Trinity at 5 am (for the 7 am flight of the Cincinnati group), one will arrive at Trinity at 6 am (for the 8 am flight of the Cleveland group). The cost is $10 – cash or check to OJCL. THIS WILL BE COLLECTED AT CONVENTION, SO BRING THE $ OR THE CHECK WITH YOU, DO NOT SEND THIS TO ME. THERE IS NO SIGN UP FOR THIS, JUST BRING CASH/CHECK TO CONVENTION AND THERE WILL BE A SPOT FOR YOU.
- REQUIRED FOR OJCL’ERS: Treasurer Kelly Thaxton and President Lindsey Dierig have created an Etsy account for participants to get the state tshirt + spirit stuff. The price is $19.20. Sign up and pay online here: https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/236260927/ohio-delegation-njcl-package?ref=shop_home_active_1&ulsfg=true.
Here is a message from Kelly about spirit: “Salvete! NJCL Convention is just around the corner and it’s time for everybody to order their spirit packages. You can order the package through the etsy link above, and it comes with 2 t-shirts. One of the shirts is the required state shirt that every delegate must have. Each day of convention has a different spirit theme, and the spirit package has the necessary items to go along with those themes, so we’re asking that everybody orders their package by July 8th. We also need delegates to bring a toga, one white t-shirt, and one blue t-shirt. Thank you and see you at convention!”
- Announcement: OH Competitive Certamen Teams at Trinity! Thanks to all players – 24 students from 7 different schools – who participated in the tryout process!
- Novice: John Brady (St. Edward), Julia Dean (Summit), Owen Kranz (St. Edward)
- Intermediate, Gautam Apte (Shaker) will share ‘Language’ spot, Julia Cardinal (McAuley) will share ‘Hist/Cult’ spot, Charlie Dwight (Seven Hills) will share ‘Language’ spot, Peter Hattemer (Walnut Hills), Caroline Klette (Summit), Michael Warden (Summit) will share ‘Hist/Cult’ spot
- Advanced: Sameer Apte (Shaker), Will Beatrez (St. Edward), Jesse Campbell (Summit) will sub for ‘Lang’ and ‘Lang/Lit’ spot, Tullus Dean (Summit), Alex Lathem (Westlake) will sub for ‘Myth’ spot, Matthew McMillan (Shaker) will sub for ‘Hist/Cult’ spot, Ben Robertson (Shaker)
OJCL Regional Summer Picnics: These events are for all OJCL students, especially those who are attending the National Convention at Trinity University! (6-15-15)
- Columbus: 1-4 pm, SAT JULY 11 (NEW DATE), Blendon Woods Metro Park (4265 E. Dublin Granville Road, Columbus, OH 43017) – flier – contact person is Central Gubernator Andrew Zhang (email@example.com)
- Cleveland: 1-4 pm, SUN JULY 5 (NEW DATE), Upper Edgewater Park – flier – contact persons are Northeast Guberator Vishnu Kasturi (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Northwest Gubernator Bradley Katcher (email@example.com)
- Cincinnati: 1-4 pm, Sat July 11, Ault Park (3600 Observatory Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45208) – flier – the link for food sign ups is http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e44ada62fa0ff2-southwest
– contact person is Southwest Gubernator Julia Cardinal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
OSCL President Bob McDonald (email@example.com) announces the OSCL Book Award: “In past years, the OSCL has offered a $150 award to a senior to be spent on books for college. This year is no different, and the application is here! I’d like to stress that the student does NOT need to be majoring or minoring in Classics. The application is due June 16th.” (6-5-15)
OJCL Bus at Nationals: Sun July 26, 1:30-6:30 – San Antonio airport to Alamo/Riverwalk to Trinity: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati. Check must be received before spot is reserved. (5-29-15)
Former Editor Dustin Argo (Summit) has completed his 3rd and final issue of the OJCL Torch! He will still be continuing to serve the OJCL as this year’s Secretary.
Check out these pix of JCLove, with Mr. & Mrs. I, at the April meeting. The fruit of their labor will arrive very soon! (5-5-15)
Interested in Competitive Certamen at the NJCL Convention in San Antonio? Click here for information on tryouts. (4-23-15)
Latin in the Summer? EUGEPAE!! (4-23-15)
- Larry Dean (Summit) is again running a summer Latin program in Cincinnati for 18 days, Mon June 8 – Wed July 1, 8:30-12:30.
- It is intended for motivated students, regardless of their level of Latin – from beginners in the 6th grade to advanced scholars who have graduated. Students can sign up/show up anytime. It is a great learning environment, with motivated students from throughout the Cincinnati area and even from other parts of OH – and they all have the same joy of learning and love of the classics. Here is the link to the program from the Summit webpage: http://www.summitcds.org/summerprograms/academic-summer-school.cfm. Please call Larry Dean at 513-502-0108 if you have questions.
Congratulations to the new officers who were appointed by the Board at the Feb 18 meeting! (4-19-2015)
- Editor – Josh Young (Indian Hill)
- Historian – Madison Solomon (Wellington)
NEW FUN CONTEST: ROMAN RAP CHALLENGE to promote National Classics Week, April 19-25. Click here for the flier with all the info below (4-14-2015)
- Create a 20-30 second rap on anything JCL or Classics-related and post a video on Facebook.
- The winning entry will be awarded a FREE PIZZA PARTY for his or her Latin club!
- You can submit more than one entry per school and we encourage you to involve your entire club.
- In order for us to receive your submissions, please shout-out your Latin club in the video and hashtag the following in the Facebook post: #ohioclassicsstudents, #nationalclassicsweek, #happybdayrome, #jcl.
- NEW DEADLINE!!!! Now it is 11:59pm Friday MAY 1. Let’s see you take your rapping skills to the test!
- Questions? Contact OJCL 1st Vice President Allison Kao @ firstname.lastname@example.org!
Cleveland Teachers – Nora Murphy is hosting an adult get together on May 8. (4-11-15)
Congratulations to the winners of the $100 OJCL Scholarships to attend the NJCL Convention at Trinity University (San Antonio TX)! Checks for the winners will be mailed this week. (4-11-2015)
- Hannah Barrett (Shaker)
- Will Beatrez (St. Edward)
- Jesse Campbell (Summit)
- Julia Cardinal (McAuley)
- Hali Clark (Summit)
- Julia Dean (Summit)
- Tullus Dean (Summit)
- Joseph Delamerced (Summit)
- Charlie Dwight (Seven Hills)
- Brian Johnson (Shaker)
- Allison Kao (Shaker)
- Srivishnu Kasturi (Shaker)
- Bradley Katcher (Westlake)
- Sam Katz (Shaker)
- Ben Robertson (Shaker)
- Elisa Stanis (Summit)
- Jocelyn Ting (Shaker)
- Sara Zandvakili (Indian Hill)
A message from Parliamentarian Brian Johnson: Thank you to everyone who applied for the position of Gubernator! The OJCL Board has reviewed the applications, voted, and your 4 Gubernators are:
- NE- Vishnu Kasturi (Shaker Heights)
- NW- Bradley Katcher (Westlake)
- Central- Andrew Zhang (Columbus Academy)
- SW- Julia Cardinal (McAuley)
Congratulations! And thank you again to all the applicants! (4-7-2015)
NEW POST 2015 CONVENTION ANNOUNCEMENTS (3-23-15)
- Historian Hannah Barrett has created a 2015 OJCL Convention video!
- Apply for a $100 OJCL scholarship to the NJCL Convention in San Antonio TX this summer. The deadline is 11:59 pm April 3rd.
- A message from Parliamentarian Brian Johnson (Shaker Heights): Salvete Omnes! It’s that time of year again! It’s time to appoint the next OJCL Gubernators (Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, and Central), Historian, and Editor! The link to the application is here: http://ojcl.org/students/appointed.php! Before you start, be aware of a few rules. To apply, both the sponsor and the interested student must be a member of the OJCL, and have paid their dues this year. All students interested MUST be approved for application by their club sponsor. A club may also only sponsor one candidate for a position, but may sponsor a candidate for each position. For example, Shaker Heights may sponsor one candidate for the Gubernatorial position of their region (in this case NE) and one candidate for OJCL Editor, but may not sponsor two candidates for NE Gubernator. Also, for the newly appointed Gubernators, attendance to the Changeover Meeting on April 18 is highly encouraged! The deadline for Gubernator applications will be April 1st at 11:59 P.M., and the new Gubernators will be announced after the Executive Board’s April 6th cyber meeting. The applications for Historian and Editor will be due by 11:59 P.M. on April 11th, and the decision regarding those positions will be made at the changeover meeting, April 18th. Please tell your students about the application ASAP, and encourage them to apply! And if anyone has any questions, don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com, and I will respond as soon as I can! Gratias vobis ago, et bonam fortunam!
The Ohio Senior Classical League is offering a scholarship to cover the cost of convention. The application is here, and the deadline is Feb 20 2015. (1-26-15)
Cleveland Service Event: The West Side Catholic Center will be hosting a “mobile food pantry” on Saturday, February 28th, from 9:00-12:30. The OJCL take a whole group of people (they’re pretty flexible with the numbers) to unload a delivery truck and to distribute food/supplies to those in need. Please email NW Gubernator Will Beatrez with numbers: firstname.lastname@example.org (1-26-15)
- On Valentine’s Day McAuley High School is hosting a Roaming Romans’ Togathon. Our togathon is modeled on the Relay for Life and will raise money for Latin education. We will be supporting Saint Peter Claver Latin School for Boys. SPC is located in the Over-the-Rhine area of Cincinnati and runs completely on donations. They are a K-8 school and are dedicated to help their students be accepted into higher ranking high schools than those of their school district. They are looking to expand their Latin program. These funds will help them to do so greatly.
- Our togathon is set for February 14th from 1-5 PM. People may start arriving at 12:30 to sign in. Official events will begin at 1:15 after an introduction to the event. Besides walking a set route through the school, the students will have the opportunity to partake in many other service events including Project Linus and Cards of Courage. There will also be fun games, costing a quarter per round. We ask that every club comes up with a toga theme. The best dressed team will earn a special prize. We also ask that every participant raises at least $10 for SPC. As an added incentive, the individual and the team that has raised the most funds will earn a prize. Every club is one team.
- For more information or questions, contact Magistra Rachel Kless or Praetor Julia Cardinal. Magistra Kless: email@example.com Praetor Julia Cardinal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RSVP on the signup genius @ http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e44ada62fa0ff2-roamin
- Thank you, The McAuley Latin Club