Each post is dated at the end to indicate when it was written. To find news from 2012-2016, view this page for older announcements and updates.
2018 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
Bored now that Convention is over? Want to make charity cards to win prize money for your club? Participate in the OJCL Card Drive for Hospitalized Kids! Send cards by Monday, April 16 for your chapter to be considered for a cash prize. See the flier for details here.
5 of the positions on the Executive Board are appointed: Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators for the North, Central, and South regions. We encourage students to apply for these offices! Members of the newly elected Executive Board and the appointed positions from last year’s board (i.e. Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators) will appoint members to these offices. (3/16/18)
- To apply for one of the Gubernators, click here and fill out the form.
- To apply for the Editor and Historian, click here and fill out the form.
- To find out more about the duties of these positions please review Article 5 of the By-Laws.
The deadline to apply for a Gubernator position is Friday, March 30.
The deadline to apply for Editor or Historian is Friday, April 14.
BREAK OUT ROOM SIGN UP If you would like to sign up for the break out room sessions (think Locked in a Room with a Zombie, but Classically themed… and no zombies), please sign up in the links below! There are two sessions, both late on Saturday night. A student may only do one. There is a limit to 32 students per session; the form will let you know if 32 have already signed up for a session. (3-5-18)
- Link to Sign up for Session 1: https://goo.gl/forms/cNVNKpRGHjaavjjF2
- Link to sign up for Session 2: https://goo.gl/forms/PgDyiI4k5RDlO1L72
Pre-Registration for Graphic Arts Contests is due March 5, tonight at 11:59 PM! Pre-register your projects now: http://ojcl.org/students/graphic.php (3-5-18)
Do you have merchandise that you want to sell? Do you need to raise extra funds for your club? Do you have another fun, awesome item you want people to see? Participate in the OJCL Bazaar! Sign up here! (2-27-18)
- Features an invitation to States, convention advice, anecdotes from past events, and so much more!
- A special thank you to NJCL Parliamentarian Sarah Lee, NJCL Historian Ana Ohnersorgen, NJCL Editor Jade Woods, and New Mexico JCL 1st Vice President Garrett Frye-Mason for submitting articles. We appreciate the contributions from all over the country!
- Guest writers: NJCL Communications Coordinator Lynn Ahrens, Craig Bush, Patrick Casanas, Davis DeFoor, Richard Garber, Katlyn Havlin, Elizabeth Mushaben, and Connie Nelson. Thank you for submitting articles!
Historian Ellie Kammerer releases her Historian Guide! This information is useful for historians on both the local and state level. Check it out here! (2-13-18)
Saturday, Feb 24, 9:00-11:30 am – Last Cincinnati certamen before the State Championship at the OJCL Convention at Mt. Notre Dame! See flier here. (2-11-18)
Congratulations to Katlyn Havlin of McAuley High School for winning our Photo of the Season contest for Winter! View the full list of winners for Winter here, and be sure to submit your Spring submissions by May 16th. (2-8-18)
State Convention: 2018 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form – required! Turn the form into your Latin teacher. (2-7-18)
February 10, 9 am – 11:30 am: 22nd Annual Summit Certamen – please bring certamen machines. See flier here. (2-7-18)
The Pre-file form for candidates running for the 2018-2019 OJCL Executive Board is now live.
Click here to complete the form. (The link is no longer live.) Please consult the Constitution and By-Laws – there are changes to duties of certain offices. The deadline is February 18. Contact Parliamentarian Julia Dean (email@example.com) if you have any further questions or concerns. (1-14-18)
The OJCL Speech Contest deadline has been extended to Saturday, February 17. Additionally, those delegates introducing candidates for office are now ALLOWED to join the contest. View the rules here, bearing in mind these changes. Contact 1st Vice President Caroline Klette (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. (1-11-18, updated 2-13-18)
The Classics Department of the University of Cincinnati is accepting applications for the Semple Scholarship. The deadline is January 25, 2018. Click here for the application. (1-10-18)
Official minutes of the OJCL Winter Planning Meeting by Secretary Jason Suh. (1-6-18)
Columbus Academy’s annual MLK Day Project Linus event is on January 15! Blankets will be made for hospitalized children. Contact Central Gubernator Marcus Grewal (email@example.com) for any questions. More details on this flier. (1-6-18)
On Saturday, January 27 from 9:00-12:00, the Seven Hills Certamen will take place! See flier for more details and directions. (1-5-18)
- January 4, 2018: Deadline for submission of Constitutional amendments
- January 15, 2018: Deadline for Winter Torch article submissions
- January 27, 2018: Photo of the Season submission deadline
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for NJCL membership without late fee
- February 3, 2018: Pre-Convention project submission deadline AND Convention registration deadline
- February 7, 2018: Postmark deadline for paying only 50% of Convention cost
- February 18, 2018: Prefile for the OJCL Executive Board deadline
- March 2, 2018: Creative Contest registration deadline
- March 5, 2018: Graphic Arts project pre-registration deadline
- March 8, 2018: Roll Call Pre-Approval deadline
- March 9, 2018: Beginning of 2018 OJCL Convention; 100% of Convention cost due
2017 Announcements, News, and Deadlines
Congratulations to the following students for earning the Ohio Senior Classical League Scholarships for Convention! (12-31-17)
- Full Scholarship: Katlyn Havlin (McAuley)
- Half Scholarships: Nyomi Morris (Beaumont) & Maliah Bricking (Summit)
Saturday, January 6, 9:00 – 12:00: Xavier University Certamen – see flier for more details. And yes, there will be pizza afterwards! (12-11-17)
Intro to Latin and Latin I-III students have the opportunity to take the Classical Literacy Exam and the new Classical Scholar’s Exam, which focuses exclusively on Homer’s Odyssey. Read more here. (12-10-17)
High School Seniors! Did you know that many colleges in Ohio offer classical scholarships? Did you know that the JCL has many scholarships available? Check them out here: http://ojcl.org/classical-studies-scholarships/ (12-10-17)
The OSCL is now accepting applications for its annual scholarship to attend the OJCL convention. The application is at the following link: http://www.ohioscl.org/awards.html. Please email the OSCL board if there are any questions or issues! Applications are due 12/20, and award recipients will be selected before the new year. (12-4-17)
Editor Taylor McGowan opens submissions for the Winter Edition of the OJCL Torch. View the guidelines below. (11-26-17)
- Submissions should be 650 words or less.
- Include a title, along with your last name and school (e.g. “Creative Title: McGowan, Columbus Academy”).
- Submissions should be in PDF format. (Do not share articles via Google Docs – numerous technical issues)
- Please include any accompanying photos as separate attachments.
- If you are a club officer, please inform the Editor of your club office as well as the school you attend.
— If you are a state officer outside of the OJCL, please inform the Editor of your state office.
- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The OJCL would like to thank everyone who came to the Make A Difference Day events this year! Check out the Community Service page for articles about what happened in each region from Gubernators Marcus Grewal, Owen Kranz, and Hanna Zandvakili. (11-24-17)
Update: The North MADD has been rescheduled for Saturday, November 18 from 9 AM-12 PM! See the flier from North Gubernator Owen Kranz for more details. (11-9-17)
Treasurer Grant Bruner releases the 2018 Spirit Themes for State Convention. The three themes are Club T-shirts, Romans at the Races, and Cinema Romana! View the 2018 OJCL Spirit Rules here. (11-7-17)
November 4: 9-11ish am, UC Certamen: flier with information about where to park and where to go – THIS WILL INCLUDE FREE PIZZA AND A COOL PERFORMANCE ABOUT THE ODYSSEY RIGHT AFTER THE CERTAMEN. (11-3-17)
Historian Ellie Kammerer announces the first winner of Photo of the Season: Congratulations to Kimberly Dryden of Saint Ursula Academy for winning our Photo of the Season contest for Fall! View the full list of winners for Fall here, and be sure to enter your Winter submissions by January 17th. (10-20-17)
Reminder: The South MADD is on November 11 from 1:30-4:30 PM at California Woods Nature Preserve. Please fill out this permission slip. | See the flier from South Gubernator Hanna Zandvakili for more details! (10-20-17)
The OJCL Executive Board would like to thank everyone who attended our 2nd Annual Fall Forum! Pictures from the event, courtesy of Historian Ellie Kammerer, are being uploaded on our Flickr account. (10-8-17)
- Features an invitation to the 2nd Annual Fall Forum from President Joseph Delamerced, details about the new Photo of the Season contest, information about classical archaeology in Ohio, multiple chapter updates, and more!
- A special thank you to New Mexico JCL 1st Vice President Garrett Frye-Mason, Louisiana JCL Editor Alex Morgan NJCL Historian Eric Wang, and Nevada JCL Co-President Joshua Ocampo for submitting articles. We appreciate the contributions from all over the country!
- Guest writers: Abby Almaguer, John Brady, Patrick Casanas, Chlole Constantinides, Gwyneth Fletcher, Hannah Frame, Katlyn Havlin, Megan Johnson, Morgan McGee, Elizabeth Mushaben. Thank you for submitting articles!
On November 12, Shaker Heights will host an Open Certamen! Contact email@example.com for more details or questions. (9-27-17)
Fall Forum: Athens Besieged! Want to be part of the game simulation Athens Besieged at the Fall Forum? It will be a fun and interactive approach to the ancient city Athens. You need to sign up to receive materials a few days before the Fall Forum so that you are ready to play! If you are familiar with the NJCL Roman Murder Mystery!, you’ll love Athens Besieged. Registration is now closed as of 10-3-17. (9-25-17)
Fall Forum is on Saturday, October 7 at the Columbus Academy! Open Certamen, Ludi, Election Colloquia, and more: see the program of events here. Click here to download a flier made by Secretary Jason Suh. (9-16-17)
Make A Difference Day Schedule (released 9-16-17):
- Central: September 30 at Nationwide Children’s Hospital’s Pumpkinpalooza from 12:30-4:30 PM. View the flier for more details!
Contact person: Central Gubernator Marcus Grewal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- South: November 11 at California Woods Nature Preserve for trail preparation and habitat restoration. Please fill out this permission slip. | View the flier with more details!
Contact person: South Gubernator Hanna Zandvakili (email@example.com)
- North: November 18 at King’s Church for packaging and distribution of food to families in need. View the flier for more details!
Contact person: North Gubernator Owen Kranz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Check out the Digital Scrapbook for the 2017 OJCL created by former Historian Caroline Klette! (8-31-17)
Seven local South Ohio Certamina are scheduled for the 2017-2018 school year! All are on Saturday morning, with registration beginning at 9 am. The competition begins around 9:30 and ends around 11:30. Fliers (with directions!) will be posted 1-2 weeks before the Certamen. (8-30-17)
- September 23 – Moeller Open Certamen (N.B. Open Certamen means that students from different schools will be randomly placed on teams.)
- November 4 – University of Cincinnati – followed by free pizza(!) and free Odyssey performance(!!!) by Joe Goodkin
- December 2 – Miami University
- January 6 – Xavier University
- January 27 – Seven Hills
- February 10 – Summit Country Day
- February 24 – Mt. Notre Dame
New year, new Latin Club! Please read and fill out this Latin Club contact information sheet and email the completed form to President Joseph Delamerced at email@example.com. (8-21-17)
Editor Taylor McGowan is accepting articles to the Fall edition of the OJCL Torch! Email firstname.lastname@example.org your articles! (7-8-17)
Historian Ellie Kammerer has released a brand-new contest: Photo of the Season! Click here to view the rules. Enter every season for a chance to earn CASH PRIZES and STATEWIDE RECOGNITION! (7-1-17)
Historian Ellie Kammerer has uploaded almost 1000 photos from NJCL 2017 at Troy University! Click here to view them. (6-31-17)
The office of Secretary is vacant. Click here to apply. Deadline is September 1. (6-31-17)
For those people going to Nationals, here is the link to order the spirit package (state t-shirts + materials for spirit), only $15: Ohio Junior Classical League National Spirit Package 2017.
- Features winning Pre-Convention contests, a “Greetings from Rome”, an invitation to NJCL Convention by the NJCL President, and a college corner about Ohio State University’s Classics Program!
- N.B.: Joomag works on mobile!
- A special thank you to NJCL President Lyle Seeligson, NJCL Historian Eric Wang, and VJCL President Alyssa Funai for submitting articles! We appreciate the contributions from all over the country!
- Guest writers: Richard Garber, Sophia Jacobs, and Sara Zandvakili. Thank you for submitting articles!
Excited for Nationals? Watch this 30-second video with clips from the National Convention at IU! (5-22-17)
NJCL T-shirt Contest! We are seeking the best designs from across the state of Ohio to help design this year’s shirt for Nationals at Troy University! Enter for the opportunity to see your own design on our state t-shirt! Read over the rules and guidelines, and send submissions to Treasurer Grant Bruner at email@example.com. (5-20-17)
Pre-Nationals picnics have been a long-held tradition of the OJCL. Every year before Nationals, OJCLers eat food together, play games, and prepare for spirit. OJCL officers will also be at the picnics in all regions, so we encourage you to come out! (posted 5-20-17)
- Saturday, July 8 at the field by the Upper West Pavilion in Edgewater Park, 1-3 PM
- Contact person: North Gubernator Owen Kranz – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, July 15 at the Outdoor Learning Center at Columbus Academy, 11 AM-2 PM
- Parking map!
- Contact person: Central Gubernator Marcus Grewal – email@example.com
- Saturday, June 17 at the first shelter on the left of the circle in Ault Park, 1-3 PM
- Contact person: South Gubernator Hanna Zandvakili – firstname.lastname@example.org
Info about the Cincinnati bus to/from Troy University: Larry Dean (513-502-0108, email@example.com) is organizing a Cincinnati bus to/from Troy University (AL) for the 2017 NJCL Convention. 2 THINGS ARE REQUIRED: SIGN UP GENIUS (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4eaeae292-cincinnati) AND THE CHECK FOR $154.50.
- NO SPOT IS RESERVED UNTIL I RECEIVE THE CHECK TO OJCL – teachers/adults ride for free
- 56 seats are on the charter bus
- The bus will leave Summit on Sun July 23 at 7 am.
- The bus will leave Troy University on Sat July 29 at 9 am.
- Cost: send a check for $154.50 made out to ‘Ohio Junior Classical League’ to ‘3098 Losantiville Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45213.’
- You will need to sign up for the Pre-Convention Housing ($50) for Sun July 29 at Troy University.
Info about the Cleveland/Columbus transportion to/from Troy University:
- Frontier flight on Sunday July 23: F9 1364, leaving Cleveland at 2:14 pm, arriving Atlanta 4:12. Contact Nora Murphy with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delta flights on Saturday, July 29:
to Cleveland leaving at 12:30
to Columbus leaving at 12:55
- Chartered bus from Atlanta to Troy and back. Contact Daniel Cavoli if you want a spot on the bus – email@example.com
Congratulations to St. Ursula Academy for winning our National Classics Week Contest and being awarded a $75 gift card to a restaurant of their choice! (5-11-17)
OJCL 1st VP Caroline Klette announces the National Classics Week Contests! Winning club will receive $75 for a pizza/dessert celebration! Click here to view the activities for each day from April 21-27. (4-19-17)
SAVE THE DATE! The 2nd Annual Fall Forum will be held on Saturday, October 7 at the Columbus Academy! This is to be held in conjunction with the Ohio Classical Conference Annual Meeting (CEUs available for teachers). (3-31-17)
Come to a celebration of Homer on Saturday, April 1 from 11 am – 4 pm, at the University of Cincinnati. Here is the flier with information about the marathon reading and tours of the ancient material collection at UC and much more!
To apply for the vacant office of North Gubernator, click here and fill out the form by Thursday, March 30. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. When applying, please review our Constitution and By-Laws. (3-19-17)
Congratulations to all the winners of the $100 NJCL Convention Scholarships sponsored by the OJCL! More than the standard 10 scholarships were able to awarded due to the quality of applications and additional funds in the OJCL Student Account. Click here for a full list of recipients. (3-14-17)
2017 National Convention (3-4-17):
- Click here for information about the national convention, including how to register and the cost.
- Click here for information about the Summer Latin Program at Summit – this is especially good for students interested in certamen.
- Click here for information about tryouts for the OH Competitive Certamen teams.
- Apply for 1 of 10 $100 scholarships to the 2017 NJCL Convention. Click here for the application. Deadline is March 10.
To apply for the vacant office of Parliamentarian, click here and fill out the form. Please contact email@example.com with any questions. When applying, please review our Constitution and By-Laws. (3-3-17)
6 of the positions on the Executive Board are appointed: Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators for the North, Central, and South regions. We encourage you to apply for these offices! Members of the newly elected Executive Board and the appointed positions from last year’s board (i.e. Editor, Historian, and the Gubernators) will appoint members to these offices. To apply for one of the appointed positions, click here and fill out the form. When applying, please review our Constitution and By-Laws. (3-3-17)
To view candidates for the 2017-2018 Executive Board as well as constitutional amendments,
please view our candidates page! We also encourage you to listen to their GA II speech as well as to attend Meet the Candidates. (2-25-17)
As of 2-28-17, the Candidates page has been closed because elections have concluded. Thank you for participating in the election process.
The Club Video Contest is due on Saturday night at midnight! Please submit submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. (2-24-17)
The deadline for Roll Call submission has been extended to Thursday, February 23. See Roll Call rules here. (2-22-17)
Apply for 1 of 10 $100 scholarships to the 2017 NJCL Convention. Click here for the application. Deadline is Friday, March 10. (2-21-17)
Reminder: pre-register your projects by MONDAY at 11:59 PM! (2-19-17)
The Program for the 67th State Convention of the Ohio Junior Classical League has been released! Check it out here! This year’s program was edited by Secretary Vishnu Kasturi (Shaker Heights). It includes: the detailed schedule, a letter from THE President Brian Johnson, the schools in attendance, cartoons, information about the Saturday colloquia, and so much more! If you prefer a quick overview of the weekend events, view the one-page Convention Schedule here. (2-18-17)
Wednesday, February 22, Thursday, February 23, schools must upload their Roll Call idea to YouTube and send it to Treasurer Kelly Thaxton (email@example.com). Schools that do not submit a video by the deadline will be INELIGIBLE to participate in Roll Call at Convention. See the new, updated rules for Roll Call here. (2-16-17)
The 2017 Winter Edition of the OJCL Torch has been released, and it’s our biggest issue to date! Check out a fun Beginner’s Guide to Convention as well as amazing local club updates. (2-12-17)
- 41 pages – our biggest issue to date! Features a fun Beginner’s Guide to Convention as well as local club updates.
- A special thank you to WJCL Editor Margot Armbruster for submitting an article! The Ohio JCL always appreciates the work of the Wisconsin JCL. Additionally, we’d like to thank Michael Bono of the North Carolina JCL for co-writing an article with our OJCL Treasurer.
- Guest writers: Nathan Brunner, Olivia Burdette, Bebe Hodges, Ellie Kammerer, Gabe Sekeres, and Maddy Taylor. Thank you for submitting articles!
Summit Certamen, Sat Feb 4, 9 am – 12 noon! Flier. (2-1-17)
Reminder: Sign up by February 15 to have a booth at the Bazaar! Learn more by clicking here. (1-21-17)
Click here to view the 2017 Rules for the Spirit Competition. Keep in mind the spirit themes! View the three themes here.
Click here to view the updated 2017 Rules for Roll Call. Important addition: schools must submit their roll call idea to Treasurer Kelly Thaxton at firstname.lastname@example.org via YouTube. (1-20-17)
The Ohio Senior Classical League is proud to announce the three WINNERS of the scholarships for the Sixty-Seventh OJCL State Convention! Thank you all to who applied. (1-17-17)
Full scholarship: Ellie Kammerer of McAuley
Half scholarships (2): Payton Cassel of Medina and Abby Almaguer of Summit
Reminder: If you are interested in running for office, please review the roles and duties of the offices on our Documents page as well as Parliamentarian Tullus Dean’s Guide to Running for OJCL Office. (1-12-17)
The Columbus Academy is hosting a Project Linus event at 10:30 AM with pizza provided at 12 PM and Certamen in the afternoon on Martin Luther King Jr. Day on 1/16. It’s always a great, fun time, so we encourage the central Ohio area to attend! (1-10-17)
Important dates for the Sixty-Seventh OJCL Convention (1-9-17):
- Wednesday, January 11: online registration deadline AND Pre-Convention project submission deadline
- Wednesday, January 18: 50% of registration fees due AND deadline for withdrawal with 100% reimbursement AND officer pre-file deadline
- Wednesday, February 1: State and National JCL membership deadline to be considered chapter in good standing AND deadline for application to give a speech at State Convention
- Wednesday, February 15: Deadline to sign up for a booth at the Bazaar
- Friday, February 17: Deadline for all changes in Creative Arts and Certamen sign-ups
- Monday, February 20: Deadline for online pre-registration (mandatory!) of all Graphic Arts contest entries
- Wednesday, February 22: Deadline for schools to submit their roll call idea via YouTube to email@example.com
- Friday, February 24: 100% fees due upon arrival at Convention
Want to give a speech at GA about Latin/JCL? Spots are available! Here is how to submit an application to give a speech. Deadline is February 1. (1-8-17)
The 2017 State Convention Prefile Form for candidates running for the Executive Board is live at this link: http://ojcl.org/students/prefile.php. If you are curious about our current 2016-2017 Executive Board, visit our Student Officers page. (1-4-17)
Those attending the 2017 Convention must fill out the 2017 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form. (1-4-17)