Unfortunately, the 2020 convention has been cancelled. Click here for more information (3-10-20)
The 70th OJCL Convention Program (2020 edition) is here! (3-4-20)
Want to win $ at the convention talent show? Sign up for OJCL’s Got Talent! Audition is Fri night, actual performance is Sat night. Performances can be singing, dancing, playing an instrument, stand-up comedy, anything that is entertaining. (1-22-20)
OSCL Packet Award Results:
Full Packet Award: She’miah Irvin, Walnut Hills
Half Packet Award: Michael Hall, Summit Country Day
Half Packet Award: John Paul Schuette, Moeller (1-16-20)
The spirit themes for the 2020 OJCL Convention are out now, they are: Friday-Convention Theme (Club T-shirts), Saturday-Rome on the Range (Farms), Sunday-Tides of March (Beach/Ocean)! The Spirit Rubric is also out now! (1-11-20)
The 2020 OJCL Convention Roll Call Guidelines are here! (1-11-20)
The sign-up for Agora at the 2020 OJCL convention is now open! Your school can sign up here! The form will be open until 11:59 PM on Feb 28th. (2-4-20)
THE SIXTY-NINTH STATE CONVENTION OF
THE OHIO JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE
March 8-10, 2019 at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Columbus North
Soles occidere et redire possunt.
(Catullus, Carmen 5.4)
2019 OJCL Convention Election Information (This link is no longer live because elections are concluded 3-27-19)
Convention Photo Scavenger Hunt!
- An OJCL board member
- A candidate running for office
- Someone who speaks another language
- Someone who is an only child
- Someone who is left handed
- Bread at the banquet
- An apple or clementine
- Someone wearing a college shirt or sweatshirt
- An SCLer
- Your Latin/Greek teacher
- Someone with the same zodiac sign as you
- Someone wearing a non-white toga at the banquet
- A Game Boy or Nintendo DS
- An OJCL’s Got Talent! performer
- Your roommate(s)
Convention registration (completed by sponsors): January 18, 2019 Pre-Convention Contests due (completed by students): Friday, January 25, 2019 Candidate PreFile (completed by students): Sunday, February 17, 2019 Creative Arts & Certamen registration (completed by sponsors): March 1, 2019 Sign up for Bazaar/Agora table here!: March 5, 2019 Graphic Arts registration (online, completed by students): March 5, 2019 Roll Call submission: March 7, 2019, 11:59pm.
If you are attending Convention, please fill out and turn in this OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form.
Want to win $ at the convention talent show? Sign up for OJCL’s Got Talent! Audition is Fri night, actual performance is Sat night. Performances can be singing, dancing, playing an instrument, stand-up comedy, anything that is entertaining.
Register for the “Bazaagora” here! (1-28-19)
Have you ever wanted to give a speech at Convention? Submit to the Speech Contest! Deadline is February 25th. (1-27-19)
Parliamentarian Marcus Grewal is pleased to release the 2019 OJCL Executive Board Candidate PreFile form. The deadline is Sunday, February 24, 2019. (1-20-19)
Thanks to everyone who attended State Convention 2018!
THE SIXTY-EIGHTH STATE CONVENTION OF
THE OHIO JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE
March 9-11, 2018 at the DoubleTree Columbus Worthington
Audentes Fortuna iuvat. Fortune favors the bold. (Vergil, Aeneid 10.284)
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- January 27, 2018: Photo of the Season submission deadline
- February 1, 2018: Deadline for NJCL membership without late fee
- February 3, 2018: Pre-Convention project submission deadline AND Convention registration deadline
- February 7, 2018: Postmark deadline for paying 50% of Convention cost
- February 17, 2018: Speech Contest deadline
- February 18, 2018: Candidate Prefile deadline
- March 2, 2018: Creative Contest registration deadline
- March 5, 2018: Graphic Arts project pre-registration deadline
- March 8, 2018: Roll Call Pre-Approval deadline
- March 9, 2018: Beginning of 2018 OJCL Convention; 100% of Convention cost due
1 page schedule of events at the OJCL Convention – some locations have been changed from the program, and THE ROOM CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED ON THIS SCHEDULE
BREAK OUT ROOM SIGN UP If you would like to sign up for the break out room sessions (think Locked in a Room with a Zombie, but Classically themed… and no zombies), please sign up in the links below! There are two sessions, both late on Saturday night. A student may only do one. There is a limit to 32 students per session; the form will let you know if 32 have already signed up for a session.
- Link to Sign up for Session 1: https://goo.gl/forms/cNVNKpRGHjaavjjF2
- Link to sign up for Session 2: https://goo.gl/forms/PgDyiI4k5RDlO1L72
State Convention: 2018 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form – required! Turn the form into your Latin teacher.
Pre-Registration for Graphic Arts Contests is due March 5 at 11:59 PM! Pre-register your projects now: https://ojcl.org/students/graphic.php
Do you have merchandise that you want to sell? Do you need to raise extra funds for your club? Do you have another fun, awesome item you want people to see? Participate in the OJCL Bazaar! Sign up here!
Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the praise & admiration of your peers? Participate in the annual talent show: OJCL’s Got Talent! Sign up here. Auditions are on Friday night, and the show is on Saturday night. Yes, there are prizes!
The OJCL Speech Contest deadline has been extended to Saturday, February 17. Additionally, those delegates introducing candidates for office are now ALLOWED to join the contest. View the rules here, bearing in mind these changes. Contact 1st Vice President Caroline Klette (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Congratulations to Katlyn Havlin of McAuley High School for winning our Photo of the Season contest for Winter! View the full list of winners for Winter here, and be sure to submit your Spring submissions by May 16th.
The Pre-file form for candidates running for the 2018-2019 OJCL Executive Board is now live.
Click here to complete the form. (The link is no longer available.) Please consult the Constitution and By-Laws – there are changes to duties of certain offices. The deadline is February 18. Contact Parliamentarian Julia Dean (email@example.com) if you have any further questions or concerns.
Editor Taylor McGowan releases the the Winter 2018 Edition of the OJCL Torch! View it here on Joomag.
Congratulations to the following students for earning the Ohio Senior Classical League Scholarships for Convention!
- Full Scholarship: Katlyn Havlin (McAuley)
- Half Scholarships: Nyomi Morris (Beaumont) & Maliah Bricking (Summit)
THE SIXTY-SEVENTH STATE CONVENTION OF
THE OHIO JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE
FEBRUARY 24-26 at the Crowne Plaza Columbus-North
Short convention video contest (Summit): https://youtu.be/99zzjA92MSY
To view candidates for the 2017-2018 Executive Board as well as constitutional amendments,
please view our candidates page! We also encourage you to listen to their GA II speech as well as to attend Meet the Candidates.
As of 2-28-17, the Candidates page has been closed because elections have concluded. Thank you for participating in the election process.
The Club Video Contest is due on Saturday night at midnight! Please submit submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certamen Update 2017: the rules for the OJCL State Championship – very few changes, all minor clarifications.
2017 Convention Program! This year’s program was edited by Secretary Vishnu Kasturi (Shaker Heights). It includes: the detailed schedule, a letter from THE President Brian Johnson, the schools in attendance, cartoons, information about the Saturday colloquia, and so much more!
2017 Convention Schedule! A quick overview of the weekend events.
The deadline for Roll Call submission has been extended to Thursday, February 23. See Roll Call rules here.
Reminder: pre-register your projects by February 20, 11:59 PM!
Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the praise & admiration of your peers? Participate in the annual talent show: ‘OJCL’s Got Talent!‘ – auditions are on Friday night, and the actual performance is on Saturday night. Yes, there are prizes!
Click here to view the 2017 Rules for the Spirit Competition. Keep in mind the spirit themes! View the three themes here.
Click here to view the updated 2017 Rules for Roll Call. Important addition: schools must submit their roll call idea to Treasurer Kelly Thaxton at email@example.com via YouTube.
The Ohio Senior Classical League is proud to announce the three WINNERS of the scholarships for the Sixty-Seventh OJCL State Convention! Thank you to all who applied.
- Full scholarship: Ellie Kammerer of McAuley
- Half scholarships (2): Payton Cassel of Medina and Abby Almaguer of Summit
- Wednesday, January 11: online registration deadline AND pre-convention project submission deadline
- Wednesday, January 18: 50% of registration fees due AND deadline for withdrawal with 100% reimbursement AND officer pre-file deadline
- Friday, January 20: Deadline for sponsors to register that your club is bringing a banner
- Wednesday, February 1: State and National JCL membership deadline to be considered chapter in good standing AND deadline for application to give a speech at State Convention
- Wednesday, February 15: Deadline to sign up for a booth at the Bazaar
- Friday, February 17: Deadline for all changes in Creative Arts and Certamen sign-ups
- Monday, February 20: Deadline for online pre-registration (mandatory!) of all Graphic Arts contest entries
Wednesday, February 22UPDATE: Thursday, February 23: Deadline for schools to submit their roll call idea via YouTube to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, February 24: 100% fees due upon arrival at Convention
Want to give a speech at GA about Latin/JCL? Spots are available! Here is how to submit an application to give a speech. Deadline is February 1.
The 2017 State Convention Prefile Form for candidates running for the Executive Board is live at this link: https://ojcl.org/students/prefile.php. If you are interested in running for office, please review the roles and duties of the offices on our Documents page as well as Parliamentarian Tullus Dean’s Guide to Running for OJCL Office. If you are curious about our current 2016-2017 Executive Board, visit our Student Officers page. (1-4-17)
Everyone at the 2017 Convention must fill out the 2017 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form.
The OJCL is bringing back the Bazaar for the 2017 State Convention!
Click here to learn more information about how to sign up for a booth and earn some cash for your club! Contact Treasurer Kelly Thaxton if you have any further questions. We would like to remind prospective vendors that you will only get a booth if you sign up. (12-26-16)
The Ohio Senior Classical League is sponsoring packet awards to cover the cost of attendance to the OJCL State Convention. The 2017 Packet Award will be awarded any OJCL member and will waive all of that student’s convention fees. The OSCL will also award two awards to OJCL members that will pay for half of the convention attendance cost. (11-28-16)
- Go to http://www.ohioscl.org/awards.html for application information. The application is due December 4.
Treasurer Kelly Thaxton has released the 2017 Spirit Themes!
- The three themes are Club T-Shirt Day, Intergalactic Gallic Wars, and Radical Romans! Email any questions to email@example.com.
2017 Convention Theme: “Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum.” – To err is human, but to persist is wicked. (traditional Latin quote)
The Executive Board and State Chairs have appointed the Treasurer, the 3 Gubernators, Editor, and Historian. Thank you to all who applied!
The Executive Board is now accepting applications for Treasurer, the 3 Gubernators, Editor, and Historian: https://ojcl.org/students/appointed.php. If sponsors or students have any questions, email Parliamentarian Tullus Dean (Summit): firstname.lastname@example.org. (2-23-16)
- OJCL By-Laws Article 5 of this document has the duties of the various officers. [This document was last updated Jan 2016.]
- Deadline to apply for Treasurer is Wednesday, March 2 at 11:59 pm. The Executive Board will hold a cyber meeting to select the Treasurer and will announce its selection by Wednesday, March 9.
- Deadline to apply for the 3 Gubernators, Historian and Editor is Sun March 20 at 11:59 pm. The Executive Board will hold a cyber meeting to select the 3 Gubernators and will announce its selections by Wed March 30 (in the hope that they can attend the Spring Meeting on Saturday, April 23).
- Historian and Editor will be selected at the Spring Meeting, and the Executive Board will announce its selections on Saturday, April 23.
Fri Feb 19 – Sun Feb 21 2016
OJCL Convention at Doubletree Hotel in Worthington OH
Everyone at the 2016 Convention must fill out 2016 OJCL Media Release and Conduct Form (1-29-16)
Do you have something important to say about Latin and the JCL? Want to give a speech to all the delegates at convention during one of the General Assemblies? Click here for details about the ‘Convention Speech Contest’ (deadline is Feb 5). (1-25-16)
Want to win fabulous prizes and earn the admiration of your peers? Participate in the annual talent show ‘OJCL’s Got Talent!‘ – auditions on Fri night, the actual performance on Sat night. (1-9-16)
The pre-file form for OJCL elected offices is now live (12-4-15):
- Applications must submitted by 11:59 pm on Wed Jan 13 2015.
- Call for Candidates! by Parliamentarian Brian Johnson (Shaker).
- The OJCL By-Laws Article 5 of this document has the complete duties of the various officers.
- Online submission: https://ojcl.org/students/prefile.php.
2016 Theme: facilis descensus Averno, ‘The descent to Hell is easy’ (Vergil Aeneid 6.126). The Sibyl of Cumae speaks these words to Aeneas, who has requested to visit his father Anchises in the Underworld.
Congratulations to the Shaker Heights Latin Club for the winning entries in both the Roman Rap and Promotional Video Contests! The prize? 2 $100 Pizza Parties! (11-23-15)
- Roman Rap Winner: paste this link into your browser, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzJEejKa5CM&feature=youtu.be
- Latin Promotional Video Winner: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dld13vCbFMbWkwd0IwdjVPSms/view
Here is information about the various competitions at convention:
Sponsors Log-in (for Convention Registration) – For any questions or problems with access to this Log-in, please contact the appropriate State Chair (Bryan Inderhees, OJCL Technology and Convention Chair).
Congratulations to Shaker Heights at the 2015 Convention: 1st in Overall Pts, 1st in Per Capita Pts, 1st in Academic Per Capita Pts!
2015 OJCL CONVENTION UPDATE
- NO MORE CHANGES: Here is the short 1 page schedule and the full program by Editor Jane Klaus (Ursuline).
- Because of the closure of the Ramada, convention activities will be held at the Columbus Convention Center. Due to the higher costs of this new venue, the convention will now be 2 days, Fri March 13 – Sat March 14.
2015 OJCL Convention theme is Malum quidem nullum esse sine aliquo bono, “There is no evil without some good.” (Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 27.2.9)
Want to submit a suggestion for the Latin theme for the 2016 OJCL Convention? https://ojcl.org/students/theme.html
The pre-file form for OJCL elected offices is now live: https://ojcl.org/students/prefile.php. Applications must submitted by 11:59 pm on Sunday February 1 2015. (Parliamentarian Tullus Dean 1-21-15)
Convention Theme for 2014: omnia mutantur, nihil interit, ‘everything changes, nothing persishes.’ The quote is from Book 15 of Ovid’s ‘Metamorphoses’ during the lengthy speech of Pythagoras. He asserts that the soul does not perish but rather enters a new body.
2013 OJCL Convention Overall Results:
- Individual Academic Pts
- Academic Per Capita
- Individual Creative Pts
- Individual Graphic Pts
- Individual Overall Pts
- Total Points per School
2012 OJCL Convention Overall Results: