Follow Summit Latin on Instagram: @SCDLatin!
- There are still a few spots available to join us in Italy and Greece this summer! Students will spend 2 weeks (departing June 11th) traveling the two countries and have the opportunity to visit important sites, landmarks, and museums. We have purposefully selected the destinations and daily activities to create a fast-paced itinerary that provides a multitude of educational experiences while still leaving plenty of time to relax and take in all that Italy & Greece has to offer. The tour will allow travelers to learn about history and art from the pre-Roman to modern eras as well as to experience beautiful scenery. For the full itinerary and current pricing, please visit our tour website: <https://www.explorica.com/inderhees-3531
After School Latin: every Fri in MS 213, 3:15-4:30 – learn more about the classical world, bring snacks to share with others, socialize with friends! – all Latin students in grades 7-12 are invited! These sessions are a great way to prepare for the academic competitions during the year and to improve certamen skills!
Upcoming Events – click here for the full certamen schedule
(social) Fri Sept 13, 6-8:30: Pizza-Movie night in the Latin rooms! over 40 students attended!Over 40 students enjoyed pizza & snacks and watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding – love those etymologies by the Dad! (service) Sat Sept 14, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms.9 students in attendance, sorted children’s toys (academic) Sept 21, 9-11ish am: Moeller Open Certamen. 7 students participated: Maliah Bricking, Jimmy Fraley, Wali Khan, Ethan Lam, Matthew Langerderfer, Ana Leyendecker, Kendall Richard. Ethan (novice), Ana (intermediate), and Maliah were on teams that earned 3rd place, and Wali (intermediate) and Jimmy were on the 1st place teams. Labor omnia vincit! (academic) Sat Oct 5, 9-11ish am: Miami University CertamenRyan Burns, Jimmy Fraley, and Kendall Richard competed in the Advanced Level and won 3rd place! (service) Sat Oct 5, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin roomsCancelled
- (academic/social/service) Sat Oct 12, 9:30-5:00, Fall Forum at Columbus Academy – see above for info and the online sign up for the bus
- (service) Sun Oct 13, 2:00-3:00, Sawyer Point: Walk Out of Darkness for Suicide Prevention. If you want to walk with the group or just make a donation, click here: https://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.teamParticipants&teamID=235233. We will meet at the Cincinnati statue. Sign up in the Latin rooms.
- (service) Sat Oct 26, time/place TBA: OJCL Make a Difference Day – it will be outdoor work at a park in the Cincinnati area
- (academic) Sat Nov 2, 9-11ish am: Seven Hills Certamen
- (service) Sat Nov 2, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- (academic/artistic/social) Fri Nov 15, 6:30-8:30, Knights Hall: Celebration of the Classics
- (academic) Sat Nov 16, 9-11ish am: University of Cincinnati Certamen
- (service) Sat Dec 14, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- (service) Sat Jan 11, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- (academic) Sat Feb 1, 9-11ish am: Xavier University Certamen
- (service) Sat Feb 8, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- (academic) Sat Feb 29, 9-11ish am: Summit Certamen
- (academic/artistic/social/service) Fri March 13 – Sun March 15: OJCL Convention
- (service) Sat March 21, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- (service) Sat April 4, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- (academic) TBA: Ursuline Certamen
- (academic) Sat April 25, 9-11ish am: Mt. Notre Dam Certamen – all questions will be AP-related for the Advanced level
- (service) Sat May 9, 9-11 am: Matthew 25 – sign up in the Latin rooms
Information about the 2019 NJCL Convention at North Dakota University (Fargo ND)
- The convention starts on Fri July 26 and ends the morning of Wed July 31. The flight from Cincinnati will leave in the early the morning of Thurs July 26; the flight from Minneapolis will leave in the early morning on Wed July 31. Here are the flights which Larry Dean is taking. Students are not required to be on this flight, but I will chaperone any students who are going on this flight.
- 2019 njcl convention info for summit students
2019 OJCL Convention Overall Points Champions!
- This is the link to upload pix of all your projects!
- 2019 summit commercial – about the nature god Pan, edited by Connie Nelson, earned an Excellent rating at convention
- 2019 Summit Latin Newsletter, the Vox Latina – edited by Maliah Bricking, earned an Excellent rating at convention
- 2019 Summit Digital Scrapbook – created by Ava Norton – click the ‘present’ button in the upper right of the screen to start the slide show
- 2019 Ohio Junior Classical League Convention Article (Dean version)
- 2019 OJCL convention article (Summit version)
- 2019 OJCL Convention – official Summit results
- 2019 OJCL Convention – official results of all schools
Some random things from convention:
- Matthew Warden (Summit Treasurer in charge of spirit) led the delegation to a 1st place prize in spirit Fri night. The theme was the Moana movie, and Matthew was dressed for the part!
- Ryan gets pied in the face! State officer Ryan Burns’ jar received the most money for charity, and his reward was a tasty whip cream pie.
- Carson Hall was one of the participants in the annual ‘OJCL’s Got Talent!’ It is part comedy and part talent. Carson’s talent is picking locks, and he did this to accompaniment of music while a girl tried to jump rope while on a pogo stick. All 3 acts received the ‘cookie of approval’ from the judges.
Summit Latin Awards Booklets: 2018 awards booklet