Each year, students must earn induction in the Latin Honor Society and must submit an application. Here is the application and requirements for induction. It is due by Fri April 8.
There will be a Matthew 25 service activity on Sat April 9, 9-11 am. Sign up in Mr. Dean’s room.
Some of the 9th-12th grade Latin students will be taking the Medusa Mythology Exam April 4-8. The theme this year is Heroic Helpers. Study materials and information on the exam are in Topics.
The 5-day National Junior Classical League Convention will again be in person this year!!
- It is July 24-30 at the University of Louisiana (Fayetteville LA).
- State Chair and Summit Latin teacher Lisa Mays will be leading the OH delegation!
- The cost is $595. There will most likely be a bus for all the OH people who are going, more info on this later.
- Here is an application to receive 1 of 10 $100 scholarships to help with the cost of the NJCL Convention. It is due by 11:59 pm on Fri April 8. In the past, not all scholarships have been given out because of lack of applications. If you decide not to go, you can always return the check. So if you are even pondering going to the summer convention (and you should!), you should apply!!
OJCL’s Got Talent! 50 minutes of fun
2022 Summit entry for Commercial, Ancient Olympics is the theme – written and directed by Katie Dobelhoff, edited by Jimmy Fraley
The new issue of the Summit Latin Club, the Vox Latina, is ready! Congrats to editors Ana Leyendecker and Mia Rahner on this special issue which urges readers to be #coollikeboreas!
Results have arrived for the 2 online exams sponsored by the National Junior Classical League: Classical Etymology and Roman Civilization. A number of Summit students won the top Gold Medal prize on 1 of the exams: Here is the complete list of winners. Haley Baker, Irene Calderon, Hana Conte, Aaron Fraley (Gold on both!), Jimmy Fraley, Shriyan Masineni, and Sophia Nery. Here is the complete list of winners. Go Summit Latin Go
Winners of the 2021 Classical Association of Mid-West States (CAMWS) Translation Exam are finally here! [There was a long delay in the grading of the exams.] The exam requires students to write an elegant translation of a Latin passage which they have never seen.
- Certificate of Commendation, Level 3: Ana Leyendecker, William McLane, and Mia Rahner
- Book Award, Level 4: Irene Calderon and Cecilia Hasan
For Cecilia, Ana, William, and Mia, this achievement results in their induction into Eta Sigma Phi, the college-level academic fraternity which honors excellence in classical scholarship. For Irene, this honor will elevate her from the ‘Induction Pin’ to the ‘Large Silver Medal’ level. Labor omnia vincit!!
Here is the fall issue of the Vox Latina, the Summit Latin newsletter, edited by juniors Ana Leyendecker and Mia Rahner!
STATE CONVENTION INFO
- NEW, EARLIER TIME FOR DEPARTURE!!! The bus will leave Summit at 5:45 am on Sat March 12 and return to Summit around 10:30 pm – I will have students text their parents when the bus is about 30 min’s away.
- Everyone needs to bring a device (phone, computer, pad, tablet, etc) to convention since the testing will be done online!
- Wear the convention t-shirt on Sat!
- 3 forms are required: Here is the required COVID release form and here is the required Summit permission slip and here is the OJCL Conduct/Picture form.
- Lunch and dinner are provided at the hotel. Students should bring snacks/water for the morning and later in the day and some $$ for snacks/water at the hotel.
- All participants must be fully vaccinated. If not fully vaccinated, the student must share evidence of negative test result – taken after noon on Fri March 11 – with Mr. Dean, who will then share that test result with the State Chairs who run the convention.
- Students should see Mr. Dean about the deadlines for the various contests and competitions.
- Questions? Email Mr. Dean, or text/call him (513-502-0108).
Link to submit Graphic Arts (drawn chart, small model, etc) – deadline is 11:59 pm on Wed Feb 16 – please see me or email me if you are not sure what category your project is in!! If you do not know how to make a Google Folder, click here for a 2 minute video.
- quizlets for online studying for the academic tests
- for vocab, do ‘Latin verbs’ and ‘Latin nouns’ and ‘Ecce 1 Vocabulary’
- for Roman culture, do all the various ‘Roman Life’ ones
- study guide: Myth – Transformations based on Ovid, summaries
- study guide: Myth – Transformations based on Ovid, quizzes on the summariess
- study guide: History and Culture guide
- study guide: History and Culture, questions on the guide
- study guide: vocab and derivatives
2021-2022 Latin Club Events
Sat Jan 8, 9-11 am (service): Matthew 25 – required waiver with parent signature – what to expect when you volunteerCANCELED Jan 15 (Sat) or Jan 16 (Sun) – Mt. Notre Dame – exact date to TBA laterCANCELED
- NEW DATE: Sat Jan 29, 9-11:30 (academic, social): University of Cincinnati Latin Competition – they will be giving away cool tshirts and other stuff! – sign up in the Latin rooms – 2022 UC Certamen
- Sat Feb 5, 9-11 am (service): Matthew 25 – required waiver with parent signature – what to expect when you volunteer
- Sat Feb 12, 9-11:30 (academic, social): OH Zoom Certamen #2 – sign up in the Latin rooms
- Sat March 5, 9-11 am (service): Matthew 25 – required waiver with parent signature – what to expect when you volunteer
- Fri March 11 – Sun March 13 (service, academic, artistic): OH Junior Classical League Convention!!!
- Sat April 9, 9-11 am (service): Matthew 25 – required waiver with parent signature – what to expect when you volunteer
- Sat May 7, 9-11 am (service): Matthew 25 – required waiver with parent signature – what to expect when you volunteer
- July 24-29, 2022 (academic, artistic, social): The National Junior Classical League Convention!!
- The US Middle School Torch, an NJCL newsletter – edited by senior Irene Calderon and with an article about mythology by 8th grader Haley Baker!!
- Article about Summit Latin students at the summer 2021 NJCL Convention
- 2021-2022 Info on Latin program – MS and US
- 2021-2022 Info on Latin program – 6th grade
- Here is a link to some issues of the Vox Latina, the newsletter of the Summit Latin Club..
- The 2020 Summit Latin Club Digital Scrapbook (by Historian Kendall Richard)!
- Follow Summit Latin on Instagram: @SCDLatin!
Summit Latin Awards Booklets:
- 2022 Latin Awards Booklet
- 2021 Latin Awards Booklet
- 2020 Summit Latin Awards Booklet
- 2019 Awards Booklet
- 2018 awards booklet
- 2017 Awards Booklet 1st half 2017 Awards Booklet 2nd half
- 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 1st half, 2013 2nd half, 2012, 2011, 2010
- Summit Latin webpage – with all the stuff from past years